A Very Secret Diary

For the past couple of weeks, we've visited Hermione in the hospital wing every evening. And since it had been the start of a new term we always brought our homework and I brought hers. It kept her busy and she seemed to be in a better mood since the fur was at least gone from her face, her eyes back to brown too. She was expected to be out of the hospital in a few days. Harry, Ron and I were heading back to the Gryffindor Common Room when we found loads of water all over the floor.

"What's this all about?" I wondered. The three of us trudged through the water covering the floor and it indeed led back to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.

"Yuck!" Ron groaned.

"Looks like Moaning Myrtle flooded the bathroom." Harry pointed out.

We continued forward and once we entered the doorway we could a hear a moaning sort of cry. The bathroom sinks were flooded with water still pouring out of them. I quickly ran around them and turned it all off. The last sink I stopped at was the only sink with the snake symbol. I had been rather curious about it and finally gotten the chance to look. Harry and Ron walked further into the bathroom and spotted Myrtle up in the window, crying.

"Come to throw something else at me?" She asked us all sadly.

"Why would I throw something at you?" Harry asked.

"Don't ask me. Here I am, minding my own business and someone thinks it's funny to throw a book at me."

"But it can't hurt if someone throws something at you. I mean," Ron looked at the two of us and back at Myrtle. "It'll just go right through you."

"Ronald." I sighed.

Myrtle quickly came swooping down from the window and stopped in front of Ron.

"Oh, sure!" Myrtle yelled. "Let's all throw books at Myrtle because she can't feel it. Ten points if you get it through her stomach!" She punched her fist through Ron's stomach and it went right through him, but you could tell he didn't enjoy it. "Fifty points if it goes through her head!" She shrieked. Punching through Ron's head with her ghostly hand.

"Myrtle, who threw the book at you?" I asked softly and concerned.

"I don't know. I didn't see them." She said as she calmed slightly. She flew around me and then hovered in front of Harry, looking at him with a dreamy look in her eyes. "I was just sitting in the U-bend, thinking about death and oh," She sighed. "It fell through the top of my head!" She sniffled and nodded before sobbing again and flying back to her toilet.

Harry's eyes narrowed as he walked forward and picked up the now soaked book from the floor. It was black leather, with silver plated edging. We brought it back to the Common Room with us and began to dry it out. For some reason, it felt as though the book were important. And when we read the name on the back pressed into the book in golden lettering, Tom Marvolo Riddle. It seemed like we'd somehow knew him even when we were small, though we'd never met anyone with that name before. And never had any friends before Hogwarts because of Dudley so that was surely impossible. Ron wasn't to keen on the book so he'd headed to bed.

Harry and I sat at the table in the common room and had each flipped through the blank pages of the books hundreds of times. Almost as if it would suddenly just say something to us. It looked to be about fifty years old and earlier Ron had said something about seeing a plaque he'd been forced to clean in his detention with Mr. Filch. It said T.M Riddle. Apparently he received it for services to the school. I gasped as I had a brilliant idea.

"You know, Harry. It could be invisible ink! Maybe just maybe..." I pulled out my wand and touched the pages. "Aparecium!" I chanted and yet nothing happened. I frowned for a moment and went searching through the back next to me.