Chapter 3 - Change

"I was impatient so I did some redecorating." Avina said as they walk through the front door of her apartment. Cordelia was dumbstruck when she walk in. First thing, Avina didn't just redecorated, she did a whole makeover. The walls which used to be painted white were now a mint green color. All the pictures on the walls were removed and placed on a tall shelf on the wall - which is also new - and all the holes on the wall have been dry walled. The position of the sofa and television was changed. Not only that the sofa has been replaced from a two-seater to a three-seated and it also come with an extra attachment on one side that allows you to stretch your legs.

The kitchen seems to have a new stand mixer and a water kettle. Even more impressive was the fact that it was clean. Since Avina was a teacher she rarely cleans up the dishes. She sometimes gets home a bit later than Cordelia and after a meal has to do a some grading and preparing for the next day. The fact that the kitchen was tidy despite Cordelia's absence was astonishing.

"You cleaned? Did I die and went to heaven?"

"Don't even joke about that and yes I am a woman that is able to take care of myself." Avina said as she puffs her chest in pride. Being able to wash dishes isn't something one normally takes pride in - especially not a thirty-five year old high school teacher - but Cordelia chooses to let it slide.....this time.

"You should wash up and rest. I'll start with dinner.'

Okay maybe not this time.

"You're cooking? The last time you cook, you miraculously cause the pan to split in two."

"It's normal for kitchen utensils to break when we use them."

"You were just boiling water."

"I'm better now. Jeremy has been.....giving me pointers." Avina said as she walks over to the kitchen counter carefully making sure that she does not make eye contact with Cordelia.

"Who's Jerem...." Realization dawned upon her, " Mr. Bearont? The math teacher? Since when has he been giving you....pointers?" Cordelia asks as she sat on a chair.

"Well he came by when you were in the hospital. Turns out he is a great cook. He made pasta when he was here then breakfast the next..." Avina clamped her mouth shut as she realized she might have shared too much.

"The next morning?" Cordelia grinned from ear to ear. The joy of being able to tease her cousin is welcoming but more importantly it was the fact that she didn't let Cordelia's accident get to her head. "Just remember men are all the same. They only want one thing."

"We are not like that. We are friends that work together, cook together and spend time together." Avina said as she starts cutting up vegetables. Cordelia could see that her ears have turned red. Cordelia decided that it was enough teasing for one day when she heard a knock on the front door. Avina washes her hands and walked over to the door. "Jeremy!"

Mr. Bearont smiled and walked in. He smiled at Cordelia and said, "Miss Welss nice to see you are well. I've bought some get well gifts." he said and hands her a box of chocolates. Cordelia could feel her breathing get a bit ragged and said, "Thank you Mr. Bearont. If you don't mind I'm actually tired from the trip. I was actually on my way to rest for a while."

"Oh then don't let me stop you. I'm just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery." He smiled at her again. Avina has decided to continue her cooking but Cordelia could see that she occasionally glance back at them. Cordelia smiles and shakes her head, "Well I'll excuse myself. Thank you for the chocolates Mr. Bearont. Cordelia took her crutches and walk to her room. She took a few deep breaths as her heartbeat start to stabilize. She distinctly heard some giggling as she closed her bedroom door.

Cordelia stared at her bedroom walls. It seems that Avina was kind enough to keep it the same. Cordelia never enjoyed owning too many things. A cluttered how gives birth to a cluttered mind she always say. Her room had the basic necessities as well as a few personal luxuries. She walked over to her bed and felt her fatigued took her over.

The hospitals beds were clean and quite comfy. Her bed on the other hand was hard in comparison. Due to her long absence the bed cover seem a bit dusty, thought it might be just from being neglected for a few days. Despite all the cons, it is this very bed that finally claimed her and for the first time in months, Cordelia slept soundly.