11. Snowstorm

Spoilers for Season 1!

There was a strong snowstorm in the kingdom of Corona, and Rapunzel didn't know what to do. She was assigned as "queen for a day" so that meant her new mission was to protect her citizens and help solve their problems. However, an ancient curse made be Zhan Tiri struck the kingdom and now everyone was stuck inside the castle while the snowstorm continued to grow stronger.

Y/n was pacing back and forth in the hallway, nervously biting her nails.

"Y/n, what's wrong? Why aren't you with the others?" Rapunzel asked.

"I haven't heard anything from Varian yet," Y/n replied. "I'm really worried about him." She sat down on the nearest bench and huddled up into a ball. Rapunzel sat down beside Y/n and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sure Varian is alright. He's super smart and I'm still surprised at all the amazing things he makes." Y/n looked down and the ground and looked very unconvinced. "Don't worry, Y/n. I'm positively sure that he found a way to keep warm and safe. I promise."

Y/n embraced Rapunzel gently. "Thank you. You're right, I-I think he'll be ok."

"That's the Y/n I know," Rapunzel chuckled. "C'mon, we gotta get you by the fire with everyone else."

Suddenly, the sound of the doors bursting open could be heard. Rapunzel and Y/n turned their heads at the noise and saw Varian panting heavily as he ran towards the Princess.

"Rapunzel, you gotta help me! My dad is in trouble and you're the only one who can help," Varian heaved. He had grabbed onto Rapunzel's shoulders.

"What happened, V?" Y/n inquired.

"There's no time to explain! We gotta get back to my dad before something terrible happens! Please, you gotta help my dad!" Varian begged. He began to shake Rapunzel a bit. The royal guards noticed this, grabbed Varian, and started to drag him away from the Princess and Y/n.

"Rapunzel, y-you promised. You promised! You promised!" Varian called out as he was being dragged out the door.

"Why didn't you stop them?! He needs help!" Y/n accused.

"I-I didn't know what to do. I-"

"Didn't know what to do? Are you serious? He is your citizen and you refused help," Y/n continued.

"I had to think of the kingdom, Y/n!"

"You didn't just brake Varian's promise. You broke my promise, too," Y/n said sadly. She broke out into a run, leaving the kingdom behind.

Time Skip

"Varian! Varian!" Y/n had spotted Varian in the snowstorm and was trying to get his attention.

"Y/n? Wh-what are you doing out here? You're gonna freeze to death," Varian cautioned.

"I'm here to help you. Let's get back to your dad." Y/n grabbed Varian's hand and took off running with him the rest of the way to Old Corona.

When they finally reached Varian's house, Varian struggled to push the front door open due to the snow, so Y/n pushed the door with him until they got it open.

"Dad, the princess refused to help, but Y/n-"

Varian stopped in his tracks and his expression softened when he saw that his father had been completely encased by the amber.

"Oh, no...no..." Varian threw his staff onto the ground and ran to the amber. He started to pound on it. "No! No!"

He looked up at Quirin and his eyes welled up with tears. "Dad! Daddy! No, no, no!" He slowly slid down and sobbed. (This part makes my heart break every time 😭)

Y/n couldn't believe her eyes. What in the world had happened? Despite her thoughts, she quickly snapped out of it and wrapped Varian up in her arms and held him as he cried. She couldn't bear to see him like this.

"Y/n... I'm scared..." Varian wept. He clutched onto Y/n and started to tremble.

"It's going to be ok. We're going to get him out," comforted Y/n. She stroked Varian's hair gently. Tears of her own escaped from her eyes.

"But how?" Varian hiccuped. "Rapunzel refused to help. She broke her promise to me."

"We'll find a way. I know we will," Y/n promised. "Rapunzel shouldn't have done that to you. You are her citizen and she should've helped you."

Varian wiped away his tears. "Y-yeah, you're right." He glanced and Quirin and sighed, "Don't worry, Dad. I will get to the bottom of this. I promise."

"I will make you proud. Get the answers and set you free. Don't you worry. Whatever it might take, I'm finding a way."

Varian stood up and flipped his cape.

"And I swear right now, that no matter what comes of me, anybody who stands or has stood in my path, they're going to pay!"

He traced his hands down the side of the amber.

"They... Will... Pay..."

Varian's hand balled up into a fist and glared furiously. Y/n placed a hand on his shoulder and nodded.

"We're going to free him, Varian. Together; No matter the cost."

Word Count: 860

Throughout this week, the scene where Varian finds Quirin encased kept replaying in my mind, so I just had to write this. I hope you all enjoyed it!