17. Haunting Thoughts (requested)

This was requested by VarianWolf . I hope you enjoy! I'm also going to start putting warning, genre, and spoiler boxes for all of my new one shots, just in case. I hope that it becomes helpful to you guys 😄

Warnings: PTSD, abuse, bullet wound, nightmares

Spoilers: minor; Season 3

Genre: Angst

Slowly, King Frederic and Queen Arianna's memories were coming back after being erased for quite some time. What the Queen didn't know was that Frederic had remembered everything that Varian had done to his family and the kingdom of Corona. Upon observation, Varian appeared to be the kind boy that he once was, but Frederic was sure that he needed to be punished...

Time Skip

Rapunzel, Eugene, and Y/n were searching for Varian throughout the castle. They had heard that he had been staying there in the abstance of Quirin, but had supposedly decided to stay there longer. They weren't sure why, since Quirin was no longer in the amber, but they decided not to question it.

When they arrived at Varian's new bedroom, Y/n couldn't help but feel nervous. After all, Varian had been her crush since they were little kids.

Rapunzel carefully pushed Varian's door open. "Varian? Are you in here?"

No response from Varian came. Instead, he sat on his bed, his knees being held by his arms, and his back was turned away from the three.

Eugene was the first to approach. "We just came to check on you, kiddo. We haven't heard from you in a while."

He placed his hand on Varian's shoulder and Varian turned his head and whispered, "H-hey, Eugene."

Varian's hair was a disheveled mess, along with dark bags under his eyes and his face looking pale.

"Varian, are you alright? You don't look so good," Y/n asked softly.

Varian shook his head. "No, not really."

He held his stomach, as if it were in pain. Rapunzel pressed her hand against Varian's forehead.

"You feel hot, Varian. Why don't you get some rest-"

"N-no! Y-you can't leave," Varian protested. He clung to Rapunzel's dress, leaving them all confused.

"What do you mean?" Eugene inquired.

"I just... I don't think I can do this alone," Varian replied. His hands were slightly trembling.

"I can get Lance and the girls to help you feel better if you'd like," Rapunzel smiled. "Does that sound good?"

Varian nodded.

"I'll go see what I can do. Eugene, can you assist me in finding them, please?" Rapunzel requested.

"What about me?" Y/n asked. "What can I do?"

"Can you stay with Varian please?" Rapunzel replied.

Y/n nodded, letting Rapunzel and Eugene know that they could leave the room to go find Lance.

"It's been a while since I've last talked to you," Varian began. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. Don't worry about it," Y/n reassured. "As long as we're talking to each other now, I don't mind. I missed you."

"I did too," Varian agreed. "I've been so... scared lately and I don't know what to do."

"Scared of what?" Y/n pressed.