Part III

Sunday.

I couldn't lie. I was too excited for tomorrow, it almost felt like a date.

It's a job. I'm going there to work, it's a job.

But reminding myself this didn't keep me from getting excited and spending a bit more time than I should have choosing what to wear tomorrow out of my very limited options.

I want to look nice, but I have to keep it professional. I can't wear a dress in case I need to get into any questionable poses to get the perfect shot... ugh.

Tired of staring at the same handful of clothes, I decided to go out and check some shops for the right outfit.

I'm sure I can squeeze just a few more items into my travel bag.

It was overcast, but not raining. The streets were fairly active for a Sunday afternoon, and I spent a few hours in various clothing stores and boutiques until I managed to piece together something that felt right. Flirty but comfortable, shows off a little bit but still professional.

It was getting late and I decided to stop for a meal before calling it a night. My phone showed me a restaurant with great reviews not far away and I started to make my way over.

The restaurant was on a corner, most of the outside walls were windows, and the walls on the inside made the whole building look like it was glowing red. It was quite busy, people even filled the tables out on the patio. I didn't even make it to the door of the restaurant when I saw a familiar figure sitting outside, right at the corner bend of the building, alone.

No way.

I walked towards him from behind, trying my best not to startle him.

"Dinner for one?" I asked.

He turned around and peaked at me over his shoulder, and that's when I noticed his teary eyes. My heart dropped into my fucking stomach.

"Steven?!"

"(Y/N)?"

"Oh my god, Steven, what's wrong?"

I had never seen such sadness and emptiness in a man's face before. Something inside of me longed to do absolutely anything necessary to make him happy again. I set my bags on the ground and crouched in front of him, resting my hands on his leg and looking up into his sad, tired eyes. My own eyes started welling up as a wave of pain washed through me.

"Oh, don't you cry now too." Steven said, cracking a forced smile as he wiped a single tear from under my eye with his thumb. "I'm fine, I'm fine, really." He added with a sniffle and a wipe of his own eyes with a cloth napkin from the table. "Sit, please, you shouldn't be on the ground."

Steven guided me upwards before quickly walking around me and pulling out the empty chair across from him.

"Thank you." I said as I sat down, Steven took his place in the other chair once again. Before either of us had a chance to say something, a waiter came up to the table.

"Ah, I see our plus one finally showed. She's clearly worth the wait." He commented with a wink towards Steven, who let out a small, insincere laugh. The waiter looked at me, "The kitchen is closing soon, but if you choose quickly I can get your order in."

"Oh, yes, of course." I said as I grabbed the menu from him. I opened it up and barely scanned it, just pointing at the first decent thing my eyes landed on.

"I'll have this please, sir... Steven?"

"I already ordered, Love. Thank you."

I handed the menu back to the waiter and he left us.