Part VIII

Morning.

I was awoken gently by warm rays peeking through the cracks of the mostly drawn curtains. I felt around, eyes still closed, and was disappointed to find Steven missing from his place beside me. His spot was still warm though and I could still smell him on the pillow next to me. I pulled it close and breathed it in. He was intoxicating.

"Steven?" I asked into the dark room.

I could barely see movement in the corner as my eyes worked to focus better.

"Steven is that you?" I asked again. "Come back to bed."

He moved a few feet, stepping into the bit of light, and I could see him.

Oh my god.

He had his shirt off and the orange rays of the sunrise molded over his toned body. I had no idea he was so fit under the layers he regularly wore. He looked like art, like someone put their blood, sweat, and tears into carving out his form.

"Sorry to disappoint." He answered in an American accent while he put on a shirt.

Disappoint?

"I'm not... disappointed." I replied, sitting up in bed.

Marc paused for a moment to think about what I just said and I started to feel embarrassed.

"He can hear you."

Okay that was embarrassing, and I began to feel bad as well, wondering if my words hurt Steven's feelings. But...

"Well, it is his body too, and he deserves to know he's absolutely gorgeous."

God, I hope that wasn't a stupid fucking thing to say.

Marc crossed the room towards me, slowly, intimidating me. My heart raced, scared- and maybe a little excited, by his confidence.

He stopped once he was right at the edge of the bed, I couldn't bring myself to look him directly in the eyes and he clearly didn't like that. He pinched my chin between his thumb and index finger and carefully tilted my head up towards him.

"You're making him blush."

"Give him control so he can show me."

Marc stared into my eyes a few seconds longer before freeing me. I took a desperate breath of air, not realizing I had been holding my breath that whole time.

"No." He said as he turned around to continue getting ready. "I have a lead on some intel, to get to Harrow."

Intel.

The tension was cut by Marc letting out a small laugh.

"What?" I asked.

"He's mad."

My whole body turned red hot, devastated at the thought of it being my fault.

"At... me?" I asked carefully.

Marc shook his head. "No, at me. For touching you."

I know it wasn't fair to Steven, but the way Marc said that, touching you, it made my heart skip a beat.

I didn't have time to form any sort of response before Marc was coming back over to me, handing me something.

"What's this?" I asked as he placed it in my hand.

"A phone."

I turned it over in my hands and flipped the screen up. "Yeah, an ancient one. I already have a phone?"

"It's a burner phone, it's safer. I have one too, in case you need to get ahold of us."

The gesture warmed my heart, but the thought of being left alone scared me.