Part V

It hurt.

But I should've known better. I had rules for myself, and falling for someone I could only see for a few days definitely broke a few of them.

I had to go to the gallery today. Donna paid to have the photos on a hard drive, and I needed to deliver it. I would be more nervous to go, but I assumed Steven- or whoever he was, wouldn't be there after what happened last night. Whatever that was.

The walk to the gallery seemed longer and darker than usual and I just generally felt like I had run out of joy. When I arrived there were signs posted on the doors saying the building was closed to the public. Inside, men and women with toolbelts and boxes were walking around past caution tape.

"Aye! We're closed!" An employee yelled from the security office. He was skinny and pale.

"What happened here?" I asked.

"You deaf AND blind, lady?"

"Oi! Don't speak to her that way, J.B!"

Steven?!

"Oh, (Y/N)." Steven said with relief. "Thank God you're okay."

He rushed over and enveloped me in a hug. In shock, I just stood frozen, unable to return his embrace.

"I called your hotel room but there was no answer, I was heading there now to find you."

"Wait a second," The man from before, J.B., stepped in. "this is (Y/N), the fancy photographer? And she fancies you, Scotty?"

"Steven. And it's complicated." I told him.

"It is?" Steven asked confused, letting me go.

"Yes. After last night-"

J.B. began snickering at mine and Steven's exchange and I gave him a judgemental glance.

"Why don't we talk somewhere else?" I asked.

"Y-yeah, alright."

He seemed normal again, like my Steven. Awkward but charming. And it seemed like he didn't even remember our conversation from last night.

I walked over to the security desk and handed the hard drive to J.B.

"Can you give this to Donna, please?"

"Anything for you, love." He said with a wink.

"J.B., I swear to God-" Steven started as he marched towards him. I placed a hand on his chest to stop him in his tracks and turned him around.

"Let's go."

Once we were outside I took a good look at Steven's face in the daylight. In his eyes I saw the same pain I had seen only once before, at the restaurant. I had to look away.

"Come at your coworkers like that and they'll fire you."

"They already did."

My head quickly turned back towards Steven. "Wait, what?"

"The damage, the caution tape, it was all me... kind of. So they sacked me. Not charging me though, at least."

"Did you explain what happened?"

"How could I? Who would believe it?"

He was right.

We stood awkwardly in silence. I wasn't sure what to say.

"(Y/N), I-"

"You broke my fucking heart, Steven."

It just slipped out.