Part VI

Green.

Green is good, right?

I looked over at Steven, probably more petrified than I've ever been.

GREEN IS GOOD, RIGHT?

Steven's legs gave out from underneath him and he let out a heartbreaking groan, the only things keeping him from fully collapsing were the two people still holding onto him. He looked up at me, still in agony, but with a tinge of relief showing through.

Okay, Green is good.

The balanced scales on Arthur's arm haunted me and I pulled away from him.

"You're a lucky man," He said towards Steven. "to have found someone worthy of the world Ammit is creating for us. Especially considering there is so much chaos inside you."

He looked back at me. "Let her go."

Arthur's goons freed me and I immediately ran towards Steven, falling to my knees to join him on the floor as I embraced him, burying my face in his neck and sobbing. The people holding him back let go as well and he held me even tighter.

"What if her scales did not balance... but she lived. Would you still love her then?"

"Of course I would." Steven said without a second thought.

"Hm." Arthur mumbled. "I guess it's an easy decision to make when you don't actually have to make it."

He slowly walked towards us. It was difficult to believe that such a fragile looking man could be so intimidating, but I guess almost dying at his hands will do that.

"Now that you know what I will do... where is the scarab?"

"I wasn't lying, I don't have it."

"What about Marc? Does he know where it is?"

I looked up at Steven and pleaded, "Steven, whatever this man wants please give it to him, it can't be worth this."

He cupped my cheek in his hand and looked at me with desperation.

"I promise you, I don't have it... and he cannot have it either."

Steven's head quickly turned to look at his reflection nearby and he whispered "Shut up!"

"What?!" I asked.

"No, no, no, not you, not you."

As confused, scared, and, well... REALLY fucking confused as I was, I couldn't be more relieved to be in Steven's arms again. He continued to fight with his reflection and I just accepted it, just happy to be hearing his voice, so unsure of what was about to happen to us but calmed by his touch. I closed my eyes and just focused on the warmth of his skin, the pattern of his breaths, the tone of his voice. I wasn't going to let anything else pull my attention-

"I have it."

-except that.

Her voice echoed through the large room, temporarily breaking the tension between Arthur's people and Steven and myself. It was the woman from earlier, in Steven's apartment. His... wife?

"Layla?" Steven whispered as we both stood and turned towards her.

Layla.

She walked down to where we were all gathered and Arthur began trying to convince her to give up the scarab to him.

Layla crept up next to Steven. "Summon  the suit."

"What?" He asked.

"The suit!" She repeated.