16. You're Different

Cassie’s POV:

*That Night*

“Come on, quit moping,” Gwen commanded, strutting into the den, ripping away my sketchbook. I tried to take it back but she was too quick for me, a slow smirk spreading across her face as she flipped through the thick pages. A hot blush colored my cheeks as she lingered on the newest additions. 

I never let anyone look through my sketchbooks, other people catalogue their troubles in diaries, I illustrate them. Forest eyes framed with dark lashes, full lips, and dimpled cheeks stared back at her beneath a mop of curly auburn hair. The image of him lying shirtless in my bed was seared into my memory, haunting me. He had almost caught me transcribing it this morning, waking up before I had time to finish the delicate curls.

“Hmm, I’m not sure you got his lips right,” Gwen mused, tracing the gentle slope with the tip of her index finger, “They’re fuller.” At this she ran her tongue across her own, tugging on her bottom lip with her teeth. I noticed the familiar glint in her eyes and I knew exactly what she was fantasizing about. A pang of jealously shot through me before I could stop it.

“Give it back.” My voice was harsh as I held my hand out expectantly but she shook her head, denying me.

“Oh no. We are not doing this again tonight. We are going out.”

“Gwen, no, I’m exhausted!”

“Well then maybe you should have slept last night instead of having it off with Harry!”

“We didn’t have sex!” I cried for what felt like the hundredth time.

“Not my point, now go get dressed.”

“Where are we going,” I grumbled, throwing my blanket aside and snatching my sketchbook out of her nosy, prying hands.

“The cinema.” I let out a groan before stumbling off into my room, throwing on a pair of dark wash skinnies, a black crop-top and a thick charcoal cardigan. Checking the mirror, I sighed, dark circles rimmed pale tired eyes. Dabbing on a bit of concealer and pale rose blush, I brushed mascara across my lashes, balled my long hair up into a large bun atop my head, reaching for my cell before I remembered that it still hadn’t turned up. I hadn’t seen the small device for over a day now. I’d had it in the cafe with Stirling but after that everything was a blur. I couldn’t find it. Rolling my eyes, I walked out of my room, twirling in a circle as I entered the den. Gwen gave me a complete head to toe inspection.

“Happy?” I asked, crossing my arms across my chest defensively.

“You should have left your hair down, but It’ll do,” She huffed before marching out the door.

“It’ll do? What does that mean?” I hustled out after her, turning back to lock the door behind us.

“Just what I said, it’s not your best but it will have to do.”

“Gwen. We are going to sit in a dark theater, what does it matter how I look?”

“Just shut up and put this on,” She commanded, handing me a shiny black tube. Rolling my eyes I dabbed a bit of the red dye onto my lips, rubbing them together.

“Much better.” She conceded, strutting off down the street. Fifteen minutes later we were seated inside of our theater listening to the quiet bubbles of conversation carried on under the dim lighting.

“Thanks for getting me out,” I admitted, popping one artery clogging bite of butter soaked popcorn into my mouth.

“Thank me later,” She laughed, a mischievous undertone seeping through.