Sleep

TW: child abuse, anti-semitism

When the song finished the television screen flickered off, much to the groups protesting.

A note drifted through the air and Laurens caught it.

"Hi everyone! Sorry about that, but Alex needs to get back to his world, so in the meantime you can all explore the mansion! Feel free to do whatever you like until Alex wakes up. - E

Everyone turned to stare at Alex, who was yawning and snuggling into Angelica's lap.

"I'll see if there are any bedrooms to put him in." She said softly, scooping up the drowsy child. He protested lightly at the prospect of being moved, but quickly relaxed in her arms. Peggy volunteered to go with them, and the two sisters made their way up the grand staircase.

They found themselves on a landing with various doors to other rooms. Looking closely they realised that the doors had names scrawled onto them, allocating which bedrooms were for who. Peggy walked down the hallway and found a room with 'The Schuyler sisters' written on the door. Next to it, there was a door with 'Alex' on it. Peggy opened it and ushered Angelica in, who was still carrying the sleeping boy in her arms.

The bedroom had a relatively large 4-poster bed with blue and yellow bedsheets. There was a chaise lounge at the end of the bed and an orange faded rug. There were some tapestries and bookshelves lining the walls, and a glass door leading out to a balcony.

Angelica lay the boy down on the bed and tucked him in, giving him a quick peck on the cheek. Peggy started at her, smirking.

"What?" Angelica asked, noticing Peggy gazing at her.

"You're acting like his mother." Peggy replied.

"I am not! I just care for him!" Angelica shot back.

"It's that motherly instinct you have, You're sad after learning that his own mother died!"

"So what if i am? He had such a terrible childhood the least I can do is lessen the burden." she sighed, brushing her hand across Alex's cheek. 

"He's still wearing his jacket, we should take it off." 

Peggy nodded and they both sat the sleeping Alex up and eased the jacket off his shoulders.

Suddenly Peggy gave a horrified gasp. 

"What is it?" Angelica said sharply, alarmed. "What's wrong?"

"Look at his arms!"

Angelica lifted the boys sleeve to see what Peggy was talking about. And sure enough, Alexander's arms were littered with black and blue bruises, as if he had been hit repeatedly with a stick. It looked horrifically painful.

"How did this happen?" Peggy whispered.

"I don't know, has he been hiding these the whole time?"

She tried to shake Alex awake, but he was already out cold.

"Should we tell someone?"

Angelica shook her head. "Not until we fnd out more, we shouldn't go telling everyone his secrets, enough has been revealed today."

And so, the sisters left Alex in his room and headed downstairs. 

Burr was peacefully reading a book, Eliza was having a conversation with Martha Washington, the revolutionaries were playing uno, Jefferson was making mac and cheese, King George was trying to play the trumpet, George Washington was figuring out how to use a computer and Madison was half asleep , listening to Jefferson complain about federalists.