Trauma (part 15)

T.W: Slight suicidal ideation

3rd person pov

The next memory then slowly crept into view. Varian was pushed into a cell by Andrew who then slammed the door shut. He knew how this would effect Varian and couldn't possibly care less. He wanted Varian to realise that without Andrew, he was alone again. Alone in a dark cell again. He was back where he started but this time Rapunzel was there and had just seen Varian stand up to Andrew.

Andrew looked at Varian with an expression that was obviously angry but smug as if to say "I've won. Now I enjoy rotting that cell again." Varian looked around this cell was too familiar, he looked the back wall and his expression changed from anger and confusion to fear and guilt. He sat on the bed that used to be his and curled up with tears welling up in his eyes. He felt guilty about everything, Andrew wouldn't be going to explode Corona if it wasn't for him, Andrew wouldn't have even escaped pirson if it wasn't for Varian. 'How could I be that stupid? Why did I trust him anyway!?'

Rapunzel was trying to pry the bar open when Varian started talking again. "All I ever wanted was for my father to be proud." Varian looked down at his knees then at wall as Rapunzel turned to look at Varian. "Of  course, if he were free from the amber now and saw everything I've  done. Well he'd be ashamed." Varian just continued looking down at the wall with his head on his knees. He was also ashamed of all he had done and really didn't want to imagine how disappointed his dad would be. "You know standing up to Andrew just now was pretty brave." Rapunzel sat down on the edge of the other bed and sighed. "Look I know how much it hurts to have someone you trust let you down. I mean after you go through something like that how can you ever trust anyone again." Rapunzel responded. "I don't know. Tha-that's why I thought maybe if I make you forget everything that happened-" Varian sat up and looked at Rapunzel. "You know, we could be friends again. Learn to trust again but I guess life doesn't really work that way." He looked back down and then looked back when he heard Rapunzel move. He saw her smile. A genuine smile. It made him realised she was willing to try be his friend again. He smiled back.

"Okay, this is very sweet but honestly I'm offended. I can't believe you were going to break into something and you didn't even ask me. It's kinda my thing." Eugene said as he, one, ruined the moment and two, locked pick the jail cell in like two seconds and open the door, which somewhat calmed Varian's anxious feeling about be back in jail and in his old cell. "Thank goodness your here." Rapunzel said as she stood and ran over to Eugene who was still the doorway. She hugged as Varian tried to walk out but was stopped by lance. Fear immediately started rising again and he seriously expected to be put back in the cell. "And where do you think you're going  little man?" Lance asked as Max and he blocked the exit. Lance then rubbed off the beard that Varian drawn on which lightened the atmosphere quite A lot as it became obvious that Lance wasn't planning on hurting Varian at all. Varian looked down in slight embarrassment though as Eugene, Lance and Max laughed a little. Rapunzel then got serious again. "Guys we're going to have to trust him." Rapunzel said, obviously being alright with trusting Varian again. Eugene looked apprehensive. "After everything hairstripe here has done, you are going to trust him." He said with an angry expression on his face as he went past Varian to free Pascal. Varian just looked floor,  he knew he deserved to be hated but it still stung.

"Yes. He's the one that made the formula that the Saporians are about to drop on Corona. We need him." Rapunzel replied, confident in her decision. She grabbed hands off so they could make a plan. The memory then skipped forward to Varian being dangled off airship by Andrew.

'Oh no. OH NO. I DON'T WANT TO DIE LIKE THIS!' Varian looked at down as Andrew threatened to drop him. "Traitor to Saporia pay with their lives." Andrew knew the word 'traitor' held bigger significance to Varian than it would anyone else. I mean the word was branded into his back and despite the fact that the physical pain was gone now the memory of how much it hurt and how loud his screams were. Someone should have heard him but no one came to help. No one even cared.

'Would anyone care if Andrew dropped him?'

Luckily, Pascal managed to safe Varian before Andrew made good on his word. The memory then skipped forward again. The ship was going down. "That single burner cannot generate enough heat to keep this ship in the air, if it crashes it all destroy all of Corona." Varian couldn't let Corona be destroyed because of him but how was he supposed to fix this. "What if we use the Quirinian?" Varian realised that that would work. "Yes. Yes, heating the Quirinian will increase the temperature enough for the balloons to rise. We just gave to get it high enough so the-that when it explodes it doesn't destroy the city." Varian out over Corona. This was his mess he had to fix it. "You-you'd need to get off the ship." He looked at Rapunzel. Varian knew that when it exploded he would die if was on the ship. "Rapunzel. I gotta clean up my own mess." Rapunzel wasn't going to let Varian die over this. "No. You do not have a shield of magic hair that will protect you when this thing explodes." Rapunzel then wrapped Varian in her hair. "What are you doing!?" Varian couldn't believe Rapunzel was going to risk her life for him after everything he did. "It's your mess but it's my kingdom." She then dropped him off on a roof. He ran to edge of the roof. "NO! RAPUNZEL!!" Varian looked at the airship as he realised there was nothing he could do now but hope that Rapunzel's hair saves her. 'Please come alive Rapunzel.'

The memory then faded away. Rapunzel sighed, she knew now Varian's justification for insisting he go. Varian ran his hand along the word branded into his back. 'Traitor'. He really was one wasn't he? A traitor to Saporia and a traitor to Corona.

A.N: Well, I really don't have any excuses for how late this is. Get ready to hate the people of Corona in the next chapter. Also I don't know if my spelling of Quirinian is right (It probs isn't but yeah)