Chapter 9, Working around it...

*No one's POV*

"Seto why isn't Joey walking in his dog form?" Mokuba asked while rubbing his eyes. He had not that long been woken up as the trio was walking along the water way looking for a way to cross.

They couldn't go through the water, the current was going too fast and Mokuba wasn't the strongest swimmer and with Joey not being good around bridges they had to find another way. 

"He isn't feeling too well," the older said knowing fine well what was wrong. He looked ahead and Joey was leading the way, searching around at the water but also in the distance behind them to make sure they were not being followed. 

After their little exchange had happened, Joey had not spoken a word to the human. He didn't know what part of their exchange caused this however.

Joey couldn't look at him though, because of the very last thing he said to him. Was that he was a reason he was trying. He never looked into the rules of what would happen to if a human said that their spirit was the reason they wanted to live. He didn't know if that would be a mission complete, or a betrayal in his contract. 

What would happen to him? After a spirit is done with their job and their human says they want to live then their memory gets wiped of said spirit. 

A pain surged through his, a painful one which almost knocked him off of his feet. He tried though, he didn't want any worry to come over of the brothers so he shook it off as much as he could. 

"Joey you alright up there?" Seto called out, just getting a thumbs up in return instead of a vocal one. Seto wasn't enjoying the silent treatment, so he whispered something to his little brother. Who smiled at him and nodded his head to the plan and rushed up ahead. He made sure he was far ahead of Joey before he slowed down.

The spirit was about to call out before he felt a warm touch to his hands. Seto had caught up to him and was holding his hand.

"Alright spill why have you been silent and not talking to either of us?" Seto questioned. Joey choose to stay silent, him now thinking in his head that that is what he should of done since the beginning. "Was it something I said earlier that made you upset with me?"

"It's not you Seto it's-"

"It's because I kissed you on your forehead wasn't it? Sorry...I'm not sure why I did that...." Seto mumbled looking down. "My body acted on it's own, but I promise not to do it again."

"N-No it's not that I didn't like that, it's just...." Joey stopped on his words. Not because he didn't want to speak, it was that he didn't have the words to.

Seto stopped walking  and pulled a little weight to make Joey to stop walking too. He turned himself around so then he was right in front of Joey, making the both of them to make eye contact. "Then talk to me, we are in this together are we not?" Seto asked now in a softer tone. 

A tint of red grew over Joey cheeks as he realised he had no were to look. Except the eyes of his human he was to look after. He didn't have the guts to speak up to him. 

"Hey Seto I found a way across!" Mokuba called out from the distance. Seto sighed as he pated Joey's head and moved from him too. Which was good because Joey's face was heating up.

Seto saw what Mokuba was pointing out, large rocks were in the middle of the stream. They weren't moving at all and there was enough of them at a close enough distance to jump across.

"They look a little wet though to stand on," Joey said to his human as the pair caught up to the smaller human.

"I think we're running out of options," Seto spoke up and looked towards the distance.

It looked like the stream went on for miles apon miles more with no sign of the current slowing down.

"I'll go first and make sure it's safe for us, Mokuba your gonna be one rock behind me so stay close," Seto stated and got ready to jump across.

At first he wasn't that nervous, but now looking down at how fast the water was smashing against the rocks fear grew in him.

If Mokuba falls in, he won't be able to swim against the current. And with how fast the water was going....

He smacked himself in the head, gaining a few odd looks from the other two as he took his first jump.

His foot slipped a little as he tried to gain his balance. Joey was ready to jump into action while Mokuba covered his face.

Seto stood up straight, looked around and let loose a breath he dodnt know he was holding in.

Not looking back, he gave the other two a thumbs up as he took his next jump.

At this point Joey had tuend into a dog, seeing Seto had his balance.

"Mokuba you have to keep your balance when jumping ok?" Seto called out on his second stone.

The younger nodded, as he took a breath and jumped. He had some better balance then Seto, not stumbling on the first rock.

Seto moved to the third, with Mokuba moving to the second and dog Joey jumping to the first. Somehow it was going smoothly, Seto was across all the way now looking back at his little brother who had only just seen how big the last jump was. Thinking it's not his fault his brother had long legs,

"Come on I got you, I'll catch you before you fall in," Seto said holding out his hand.

Mokuba sighed, took a deep breath in and a few step back.

But didn't get the chance to try and make the jump.

He was in the water, the current was doing it's course as it dragged the small human down the river. 

Seto went to jump in straight after him, but Joey had already changed form and tackled him to the ground. The human was about to scream at him, until he saw once again he had switched forms and was in the water as well as a dog.

Mokuba was struggling to keep himself above the water, barley avoiding the large stones in the water flow as the dog was gaining on him. Seto was trying his best as well to keep pace with the two but the flow of the water was just too strong as they grew closer away from him.

Before Mokuba was fully taken under the water, dog Joey managed to bite down on his clothes holding him up. He didn't think, slamming his own body onto a incoming stone to make a more stronger hold.

Pressure from the water was consistently hammering against Joey's body, making the strength in his jaw slowly go. But he didn't let go, he couldn't let his human's brother die.

Soon enough Seto caught up to them, jumping to a close stone and scooping Mokuba from the water. As gently as he could, he tossed him to the side of the grass and onto dry land. Turning around he extended his hand so he could get Joey.

However both did not notice a log was drifting down the stream.

Neither noticed, until it had slammed into Joey, making the dog slip and fall from the stone he was using as a grip.

Seto was unable to grab him as the stream carried him further away. 

So um.....Hi 

Yes it's been a while since I posted anything. But hey an update now! Let's see if I can keep it up lmao.

I hope you  guys enjoyed this chapter, if so let me know down below and STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT ONE!!