Chapter 9 - Amaya's Insult

Before Mantu could even react, there was a knock on the door. Mantu wiped his tears and warned everyone to react normal. He doesn't want to spread it to the world that just now he lost his only best friend and confidant. And with that he lost all the trust he had on people. Somewhere deep down he knew that people of Banaras has used him immensely, whether for their trade as he is the tourist guide or whether to get a free service, they always showed up to Mantu when they needed help and not when he needed someone. Last week he was upset that Rama hid things from him and now his best friend Uma. He was shattered from inside. His heart was breaking, he was losing hope. He needed someone to tightly hug him so that he can cry it all out. Uma was about to open the door but Mantu firmly said to stay away as it's his house and not hers.

He opened the gate after taking a deep breath and suddenly Amaya falls on him. "Ouch.." "Amaya be careful!", said Mantu as he embraced her in his arms. Mantu looked at her intently but Amaya quickly reacted and straightened herself up. "I'm so sorry, actually I was talking to Piya and never saw that you opened the gate that's why.", said Amaya as she smiled sheepishly as Mantu nodded at her explanation and she imm5 saw that Mantu didn't react much. She held his hand quickly as she said, “Are you fine Mantu, you look sad and disturbed." She tightened her grip as she looked intently in his eyes. Her eyes immediately looked worried for him. Mantu's eyes filled with tears as his heart fluttered. Without even saying a word Amaya understood that something is wrong but he knew no one, no one in this world will understand what their relationship is. They are already one. They don't need to have a official confirmation. But right now he has to control as he doesn't want to hurt Amaya again. "Ahh! Nothing.

Actually...umm you first please come inside, sorry I didn't asked you before. I'll bring you water.", said Mantu as he comes inside with Amaya. "No Mantu, its not required. Actually...", Amaya took out the invitation card from her bag and gave it to Mantu, "I came to give you this...I know you are groom's best friend and you don't need an invitation but mom told me to do so. So I did.", said Amaya smiling. "Okay...I mean it was not required but aunty is stubborn I know.", said Mantu as he saw Amaya folding hands and greeting Masi and Badi maa. Badi maa too stood up, smiled and greeted back. "Sorry, I didn't introduced you to them, she is my Masi and she is my badi maa, I mean she is Uma's badi maa and I consider as my own Amma." "Amaya smiled again but Masi taunted, "Good family girls touch the feet of elders to greet. But...I can see you..." "Masi if you will stay quiet it will be better.", said Mantu as he stared at his Masi.

Amaya hesitantly stretched her skirt and said, "It is okay Mantu every one told me this only today. I guess it was not the right idea...but" Piya was looking around the house as she said , "Bui I'm hungry." Amaya looked at Piya as she interrupted her but smiled and said, "Just 10 minutes baby, when we will reach home we will eat food, just 10 minutes." Mantu looked at Piya and smiled. She smiled back too. Amaya looked at Mantu and noticed that though he is smiling there is pain in his eyes and even his smile is reflecting that. "What could be the matter?", thought Amaya. "Hi!", said Mantu to Piya and she shied away and hid behind her bui's skirt. "I have chocolates in the kitchen , if you will be my friend I'll give you all." Mantu smiles as he sees Piya's face bright. "Chocolates!!! I love chocolates...but I can't take any because mumma says that don't take anything from strangers.”, said Piya hesitantly. But I'm not a stranger, I'm your bui's close friend, if you don't trust me ask your bui.", said Mantu as softly as he can. Piya looked at Amaya and she nodded slightly. Piya smiled and turned towards Mantu. "Hello, I'm Piya. I'm three years old. I live with my mumma and papa in Mumbai.", said Piya with utter innocence. Mantu sat on his knees and shake hands with her. "Hi, I'm Mantu, I live here with my younger brother. And you can call me Mantu. "Okay, Mintu" "No, not mintu, it's Mantu." "Mi..ma.. Mintu", said Piya confused. "Okay, you can call me just 'Friend'. Simple friend.", said Mantu as he laughed at her innocence. Piya smiled as she said, "Okay friend." Amaya smiled to Piya. "Now come and take your chocolates. Come.", said Mantu as he took Piya in his arms. "Mantu it's not required, I'll take your leave. Please understand. Mom just got her discharge from the hospital. I need to go to home to give her medicines as I know she will forget and injection too. She will eat chocolates some other time.", said Amaya as she was feeling very embarrassed. "It will just take 5 minutes, I'll come back fast.", said Mantu as he took Piya inside his kitchen.

Before Amaya could react; Mantu took her, Amaya stood there as she felt awkward. She saw that Uma was continuously staring at her. To break the ice, Amaya said, "Mom has kept a small pooja tomorrow, I didn't know that you are here otherwise I would have written your names also. But please don't mind and come to give your blessings to my elder sister... Uma please bring them all, dinner will be there only.". She said as politely as she can. "Sure beta, Mantu and we are one, we all will come", said badi maa with a smile and asked her, "What do you do beta?" "I work in a firm as a translator and now as a personal assistant as well.", replied Amaya with a smile. "That's very good beta. Women should work for themselves. What does your father do?" "Ahh! My father...my dad is no more in this world aunty. He passed away 6 Months ago.", said Amaya as she recalled her memories yet once again. "Oh! So sad to hear that beta. What was your father's name?" "His name was Rishi Mathur...", said Amaya.

Badi maa was shocked as her suspect was correct. "She is Rishi’s daughter...", thought badi maa. "Acha, that Rishi Mathur...who committed suicide after doing a 100 crore scam.... you are that fraud man's daughter. Hey! Bhagwan! Our house has become impure now. Someone please bring ganga jal." , said Masi sarcastically and tears welled up in Amaya’s eyes. She wanted to run away. "How shameless you are...haan what can we expect also....daughter of the shameless man will be shameless only na. You were right Uma she is a witch. She will eat everyone up. You should have died as well with your father. Why are you spoiling Banaras's name again and again.", said Masi as she stood up. "What are you saying? She is a child, what is her fault in this.", said badi maa trying to control the situation. "She is not a child bhabhi, she is a bad omen which will destroy everyone who will come in her way. Evil spi..."

"MASII!", shouted Mantu from a distance. Amaya quickly wiped her tears as she tried hard, very hard not to cry. "Not a single word against her or her family. I'll not tolerate it.", said Mantu as he stood behind his love lady. "Are you happy now. You have insulted her in my house. Now go and eat your heart out. Go. You can never let someone live in peace. I was hearing everything from the kitchen. I'm not deaf. You don't know her or her family so you have no right to comment on her or them. I also don't know Rishi uncle but I know one thing, if he has raised such independent, strong and fearless ladies, he must be a great man. When you don't know the story just don't comment.", said Mantu with proud in his eyes. Amaya's head was down with hairs covering her eyes. After what Mantu said her heart was happy. He is finally realizing her worth, her value in his life. He is respecting everyone as he should, even himself. He has finally realised that self-respect is not something that people do, it's something that you do for yourself. He is taking a stand now.

"Yes! Yes! You will say all that now. See, bhabhi, see him. He has already changed in this witch's presence. He has lost all his senses. Please do some pooja to get him back ". Masi started her rant again. "But ayee ladki, stay away from Mantu, we have already fixed Mantu and Uma's marriage. Stay away." Amaya looked at her with shock and quickly turned around to see Mantu. Mantu was shocked. He never agreed to marriage. He never will. When will this woman understand a simple human language.. Hindi. But right now Amaya is important, she should not get any wrong ideas in her head. Mantu quickly held her arm and pulled her towards him. Tears flowed from her eyes but never made it till the cheek as Mantu slowly removed each and every one of them. He was about to say something but Amaya slowly got away from him and removed her tears as she said, "Congratulations Mantu... Uma. I'm so happy for you both." She took Piya from his arms and left running.