Chapter Thirty-Six; Made For You

When Janelle opened her eyes in the morning, the bright sun shone through the window of her bedroom, which was now decorated with all of her old posters, pictures, and trinkets she had back in her apartment, thanks to Ryan and Kenneth. She was quite glad that they had unpacked for her, it made one last thing for her to have to do later.

She sat up, stretching a little as she looked up at her Jakob Dylan poster. She smiled a bit, before looking over at the clock, seeing that it was only just past eight. She didn't normally wake up this early, but, since she was already awake, there was no sense in going back to sleep and possibly oversleeping.

She threw off her covers, getting out of bed and stretching again, before she made her way over to the door. She opened it up, stepping out into the hallway, where she stopped by Ryan's room, where the door was halfway open.

Curious as usual, she peeked in a little to see that he was laying on his back, still fast asleep and snoring. Janelle let out a soft chuckle, before heading over to the stairs, where she made her way down into the living room.

She yawned a little, rubbing her eyes as she walked into the kitchen, deciding to make herself a cup of coffee. She hoped that Ryan wouldn't mind, but, as he had told her to do many times, she was going to make herself at home.

She picked up a mug from beside the Keurig, setting it underneath the spout and opening the cupboard full of tea and coffee, pulling out a K-Cup.

She put it inside of the machine, pressing a button that began to brew the coffee, before turning and glancing around the kitchen. She began to wonder if she should just make breakfast now, since Ryan was still asleep. After all, she did know her way around now, since she had basically been through every cupboard when she made Ryan soup when he was sick.

Maybe she could just make it simple; fry a couple of eggs, maybe whip up a few pancakes. It would be a nice gesture, especially since Ryan had let her into his home on such short notice.

After her coffee finished brewing, she lifted up the mug, taking a long sip, which, she instantly regretted doing, as it was scalding hot.

"Ouch!" She hissed, before setting the mug down.

Maybe now would be a good time to make breakfast, she wondered to herself. At least that could give her coffee enough time to cool down so she could actually enjoy it.

She made her way over to the kitchen, beginning to search for a carton of eggs, which she found rather quickly, taking them out and setting them down on the counter beside the stove.

Pancakes, she thought.

What were the ingredients for pancakes again? She had honestly forgotten, after only ever making herself cereal for breakfast. Not to mention that she had the experience of a waitress, not a chef.

"Eggs, milk," She muttered to herself. "Butter?" She shook her head, mentally pleading that he'd have Bisquick or some kind of pancake mix so she wouldn't have to make it from scratch.

She went over to the cupboard, opening it up and beginning to look through. To her dismay, she never found any pancake mixes, which was of course a problem, but she would have to make do with what she had, which was her own two hands and a few ingredients she could possibly create a batter with.

So, she got to work, mixing this and that, until it somewhat looked like it was meant to, which was when she pulled out a pan from underneath the stove, placing it up on the burner. She poured some of the batter in, before turning on the flame to let it cook. It immediately began to sizzle, which made her wonder if it was up too high, however, she just left it, deciding that, the higher it was, the faster it would cook.

She pulled out another pan, placing it beside the one with the batter in it, putting a small pat of butter in it, before opening the carton of eggs, pulling out a few. One at a time, she broke them, letting the whites and yolks run into the pan. She turned on the burner for that pan as well, before stepping back, smiling triumphantly at what she had just accomplished.

Maybe I am chef material, she thought to herself, still smiling, until she realised that the batter was turning quite dark.

"Oh.." she muttered, opening the drawer in front of her, quickly pulling out a spatula. She flipped the pancake-like object over, wincing a little when she saw how semi-burnt it was. "I'll just put that side on the bottom when I serve it, no big deal.."

Just then, she heard a sizzling noise coming from the other pan, beginning to smell something burning.

"You have to be kidding me!" She mumbled, quickly flipping the eggs with the same spatula, revealing that they were turning brown. What the hell burns that quickly?

She sighed, exasperated. Maybe she could just blame it on Ryan's high-powered stove.

All of a sudden, she heard a noise out in the living room, and she looked up, making eye contact with a pair of blue eyes that looked back at her with confusion.

She swallowed a little, nervously lifting up her hand to give the man standing there a small wave. He bit his lower lip, giving her an awkward wave back, before turning and jogging over to the stairs, where he went up to the higher level of the house.

Janelle ran a hand through her hair, before looking back down at the food, which was beginning to burn again.

"Shit!"

Brent made his way upstairs quickly, his thoughts racing. What the hell happened to Ryan taking time for himself? What happened to waiting for the right woman to come and being patient? Was he really letting another woman spend the night with him?

"Ryan, you didn't.." he muttered to himself, before turning and opening the door to Ryan's bedroom roughly.

Ryan jumped awake, looking up at his friend with squinty eyes. "Brent?"

"What the hell, Ryan?" He asked, slightly raising his voice.

"What?" Ryan Asked.

"Why is there a woman burning food in your kitchen?"

"What?" Ryan Asked again, causing Brent to scoff.

"You had another woman spend the night?"

Ryan swallowed. "No.."

"Then who is that?"

"She's living with me, she didn't spend the night."

"Ha!" He pointed an accusatory finger at Ryan. "What happened to 'I'm deciding to give it some time, The right woman will come along, and until then, I'll be patient'?"

"How do you remember my exact wording?" Ryan muttered, before sighing. "Anyways, she's my...girlfriend. Her name is Janelle."

"The waitress?"

"Yes, the waitress. Former waitress." He mumbled, running a hand through his slightly messy hair, which was sticking out here and there from just sleeping.

"Oh.." Brent sighed. "I have to say, I really hope this one works out for you."

Just then, they both heard a soft cough, and Brent immediately looked behind him, seeing Janelle standing there, her hands in the front pocket of her pale blue hoodie.

"Hey, Janelle." Ryan greeted, giving her a small smile.

Janelle waved at him, before glancing over at Brent, biting her lower lip. "I made breakfast," She Said quietly. "I'm sure there's enough for three."