chapter twelve

naomi and lillie walked up, holding hands

naomi and lillie walked up, holding hands. lillie sat in between nick and tara. lillie sat opposite her. "so do you play film music?" tao asked. "yeah sometimes." tara said. "so it's not boring." tao replied. "why did you agree to come if you thought it'd be boring?" charlie joked. "because i'm very nice and supportive friend, obviously." tao said. elle laughed. "no. he came for the milkshakes and the milkshakes only." elle said. "i said that to you in confidence!!" tao said, shocked. "so how did you two become friends?" darcy asked. "i was friends with charlie first and tao came along as a package deal." elle said. "UH??? rude! you're lucky to have me!!!" tao exclaimed. "you make a cute little pair." darcy said. the table went silent.

"so we're ordering a second round right?" tao asked. "yeah." everyone said, except naomi. "yeah we can go and get them." nick said. "can i have a strawberry one?" tara asked. "banana again." elle said, nick turned to naomi. she shook her head. "i'm fine, thanks nick." she smiled. he looked at her again and then nodded

nick and charlie went up to get the milkshakes. naomi and lillie started talking. they took pictures. "so then after we kissed like six times, tara agreed to be my girlfriend." darcy explained. "it was actually two but sure." tara butted in. "that's a really cute story. you guys seem great together." tao said, naomi agreed. "i think it's because we're friends aswell." darcy said. "seems obvious but you should be really good friends with the person your dating." darcy finished. "yeah. that makes sense." tao said, nodding. "yeah!" tara agreed. "tao! can you come help us with the drinks?" charlie asked. "yeah!!" tao said, getting up.

"what are you doing?" elle asked. "what do you mean??" darcy replied. "you're clearly trying to set something up between me and tao." elle said. "well, we just thought if we could hint to him that you'd make a good couple.." darcy said. "but i didn't ask you to do that." elle said. "but ya like him, so--" darcy responded. "yeah, but i don't want him to know that! just because you two came out doesn't mean i want to share all of my secrets." elle snapped. naomi looked at her in disbelief. "my friendship with him is more important and if he knew things would change. and i've had to deal with enough changes in my life recently, i don't want anything else to change." elle said. "yeah, sharing stuff like that changes everything." tara said. "and not always for the better." she added. darcy looked at her, hurt pricked up into her eyes. naomi just looked to the floor, she felt extremely awkward about this and she didn't want to interfere. she started talking to lillie about different things.

lillie had a cat called kitkat. naomi loved kitkat, she was a brown havana cat with light brown eyes. she was so cute. she loved cuddles and loved playing with her.

lillie adored nellie, nellie was the best thing that ever happened to nick and naomi. naomi was three when she got nellie, but she can remember it like it was yesterday. nick was crying but naomi was just happy. she just saw her as a big fuzzy bundle of love. nellie was so full of love. they've had her for eleven years. she's such a good companion.

"is this some boys not allowed sort of conversation?" charlie asked. "did you know this too?" elle said. "the me and tao thing?" she asked. "uh, yeah." charlie said. "so this whole thing was a...setup?" she asked. "we thought it would be fun to go on a quadruple date." nick said. "a...quadruple date?" elle said. "yeah uh, you and tao, tara and darcy, naomi and lillie and--" nick said. "you and charlie." elle finished. "you two are together?!" elle said. "yeah." charlie smiled. "ahhhh!! charlie i'm so happy for you!" elle said. "i mean, i'm happy for you too but you didn't have to witness the months of intense pining!" elle joked, "elle!!" charlie laughed. "does tao and isaac know?" she asked. "i think isaac guessed, like almost immediately after we got together." charlie said. "and what about tao?" elle asked. "not yet.." charlie said. "i'm going to tell him, i just need to find the right time." charlie said. "but he's the only one that doesn't know." elle said. "uhh." tao said. "just so you know, the concert starts in fifteen minutes." he finished, everyone started aggressively trying to finish their milkshakes. naomi chuckled as she took a sip of her water. everyone was complaining of having a brain freeze. "that's your fault." she chuckled.

•••

the eight all walked together, naomi and lillie held hands whilst listening to music. naomi looked up at her, lillie looked down and smiled. they all walked up to truham.

naomi and lillie watched as charlie and nick sat together next to the drums. "put your foot under." charlie said. he handed him the drumsticks and then held his hands. naomi smirked as she rested a head on lillies shoulder. they held hands. lillie was laughing at nicks attempts. charlie started helping nick play the drums.

"has anyone seen tara and darcy?? i'm about to open the doors for the audience!" the teacher said. the four looked at eachother.

they ran down the halls. "TARA? DARCY?" they shouted. "TARA!" naomi shouted "DARCY?" lillie shouted. they ran into empty rooms trying to find the girls. "DARCY!!" naomi shouted. "TARA!" they kept shouting for the girls. they ran around the whole school looking. they started banging a door. "come on!" naomi said, she ran to the door and pushed it open. "hey, you guys are supposed to be on stage like..right now." she said, breathlessly. the group was like a stampede running up the halls.

they all started running back up the corridor, holding hands. they ran into the hall, all eyes turned on them. they awkwardly walked to their seats. naomi was in between nick and lillie.

they started clapping for them, the teacher came out and they brought their instruments close to them. nick was looking at charlie and smiling. "you guys are so cute together." she whispered. he looked down and smiled at her, she smiled back. lillie grabbed her hand and held it, she looked at her. she had so, so much love for this girl.