Chapter 5: How To Train Your Dragon

When everyone sits down again, Lovelyn starts the movie again.

[Scene cuts to a pan around the Dragon Training Arena.]

"Welcome to Dragon Training!" Gobber exclaims.

"They really shouldn't have called it that," Dagur comments.

"Why?" Gobber asks.

"Because it sounded like you were training the dragons not training to kill them," Dagur replies as if it's obvious, which it is.

"No turning back," Astrid says, holding her axe in her right hand.

"I hope I get some serious burns!" Tuffnut announces.

"I'm hoping for some mauling, like on my shoulder or lower back," Ruffnut declares.

"Yeah, it's only fun if you get a scar out of it," Astrid adds.

"Yeah, no kidding, right? Pain. Love it," Hiccup mutters sarcastically behind them, an axe in his hands.

All the teens turn to look at him.

"Oh, great. Who let him in?" Tuffnut complains.

"Let's get started!" Gobber yells, interrupting them. "The recruit who does best will win the honour of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village."

"How is that an honour?" Hiccup asks.

"It was tradition," Gobber shrugs.

"Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so, does that disqualify him or...?" Snotlout snickers.

"Can I transfer to the class with the cool Vikings?" Tuffnut asks.

"I'm pretty sure there was only one class, Tuff," Fishlegs says.

"Don't worry," Gobber whispers to Hiccup. "You're small and you're weak. That'll make you less of a target! They'll see you as sick or insane and go after the more Viking-like teens instead."

"That was very motivational, Gobber," Hiccup says, sarcastically. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," Gobber replies, missing the sarcasm again.

"Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight!" Gobber tells them. "The Deadly Nadder!"

"Speed: eight; Armour: sixteen," Fishlegs says.

"The Hideous Zippleback!" Gobber continues.

"Plus eleven stealth times two," Fishlegs notes.

"The Monstrous Nightmare!" Gobber goes on.

"Firepower: fifteen," Fishlegs lists.

"The Terrible Terror!" Gobber carries on.

"Attack: eight; Venom: twelve!" Fishlegs says.

"CAN YOU STOP THAT?" Gobber yells. "And... the Gronckle!"

"Jaw strength: eight," Fishlegs whispers.

Gobber puts his hand on the lever.

"Whoa, whoa, wait! Aren't you gonna teach us first?" Snotlout yells.

"He believes in learning on the job," Hiccup shrugs. "I have the scars to prove it."

"I believe in learning on the job," Gobber replies, releasing the Gronckle, which promptly swallows rocks and starts blasting the teens. "Today is about survival. If you get blasted... you're dead! Quick! What's the first thing you're going to need?"

"A doctor?" Hiccup guesses.

"No, that's after," Astrid says.

"Plus five speed?" Fishlegs whimpers in fear.

"How does one get plus five speed, Fishlegs?" Dagur inquires.

"A shield!" Astrid exclaims firmly.

"Shields!" Gobber confirms. "Go! Your most important piece of equipment is your shield! If you must make a choice between a sword or a shield, take the shield!"

All the recruits head for the shields.

"Get your hands off my shield!" Tuffnut yells.

"There's like a million shields!" Ruffnut argues.

"Take that one, it has a flower on it. Girls like flowers," Tuffnut tries to persuade her.

"Not all girls like flowers, Tuff," Zephyr says.

"Yeah," Heather agrees. "We also like inflicting pain on our brothers when they're being idiots."

Ruffnut takes the shield and slams it onto Tuffnut's head.

"See?" Heather comments.

"Oops, now this one has blood on it," Ruffnut says.

The twins' parents groan. Those two fight over everything.

The Gronckle flies towards the twins and blasts their shield with a fireball, leaving them dazed on the ground.

"Tuffnut, Ruffnut, you're out!" Gobber yells.

"What?" The twins ask simultaneously, dazed.

"Those shields are good for another thing: noise!" Gobber yells. "Make lots of it to throw off a dragon's aim!"

The remaining teens begin hitting their weapons against their shields, making the Gronckle shake its head, confused.

[The screen changes to the Gronckle's point of view.]

"All dragons have a limited number of shots," Gobber says. "How many does a Gronckle have?"

"Five?" Snotlout guesses.

"No, six!" Fishlegs corrects him.

"Correct, six!" Gobber confirms. "That's one for each of you!"

Fishlegs' shield gets blasted out of his hand. He runs away screaming.

"Fishlegs, out," Gobber says before turning to Hiccup, who's hiding behind a plank. "Hiccup, get in there!"

"So, anyway I'm moving into my parents' basement. You should come by sometime to work out. You look like you work out!" Snotlout flirts with Astrid.

Spitelout facepalms at his son's antics.

The Gronckle fires at Astrid and Snotlout. Astrid rolls out of the way, but Snotlout's shield gets hit.

"Snotlout! You're done!" Gobber yells.

"So, I guess it's just you and me, huh?" Hiccup casually says to Astrid.

"Nope, just you," Astrid replies, running away, leaving Hiccup there.

"Sorry about that, Hiccup," Astrid apologises to him.

"It's fine," Hiccup smiles.

The Gronckle fires at them, missing Astrid, but hits Hiccup's shield. Hiccup loses his shield and runs after it, the dragon hot on his heels.

"One shot left!" Gobber announces. "Hiccup!"

"Why wasn't I out?" Hiccup asks.

Gobber shrugs.

The Gronckle corners Hiccup, taking its aim. Gobber quickly tugs it away, causing it to misfire its last shot, and locks it up back in its cage.

"And that's six!" Gobber exclaims. "Go back to bed, ya overgrown sausage! You'll get another chance, don't you worry." He turns to Hiccup. "Remember: a dragon will always—always—go for the kill."

***

A/N: I know it's not that good, but there's your chapter. Please comment. Stay safe! 🙂🙂🙂