Chapter 10: How to Train Your Dragon

[Scene cuts to on top the watch tower at night.]

"...And with one twist, he took meh hand, and swallowed it whole," Gobber says dramatically. "And I saw the look on his face: I was delicious. He must have passed the word, because it wasn't a month before another one of 'em took meh leg."

"Isn't it weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon?" Fishlegs asks.

"Weird, how?" Heather asks, no malice in her tone; just genuine curiosity.

"Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by... crushing his heart, or something."

One by one, all the heads in the room turn to look at the boy, whose face began to resemble a ripe tomato.

"Is this something you think about often?" Viggo asks, looking visibly disturbed.

"I swear, I'm so angry right now!" Snotlout says, chewing on a chicken thigh. "I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!"

Spitelout facepalms yet again.

"It's the wings and the tails you really want," Gobber replies. "If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon." His voice went low as he said the last part.

"Did anyone else feel chills?" Dagur asks. "Ooh, so tickly."

Hiccup looks up in realisation as he hears that. Stealthily, he slips away. Astrid looks up, her eyes following the lanky boy.

"Nothing gets past you," Hiccup mutters.

"Of course not," she agrees.

Gobber pauses to finish the rest of his dinner. "Alright. I'm off to bed. Ye should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys. Slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honour of killing it?"

"Again, just how was that an honour?" Zephyr asks, a horrified look on her face at the very thought of it.

[The camera focuses on Astrid, slightly drowning out the sound of the others.]

"It's gonna be me," Tuffnut claims, lifting up his shirt to show a tattoo on his left side. "It's my destiny. See?"

"Your mom let you get a tattoo?" Fishlegs gasps.

"No she didn't," Ruffnut cackled in amusement. "He got into so much trouble."

"It's not a tattoo," Tuffnut denies. "It's a birthmark."

"Okay, I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before," Ruffnut argues.

"What I said," Ruffnut agrees.

"You know that you just agreed with yourself, right?" Fishlegs responds.

"And?" Ruffnut replies with a hard tone.

"Nothing," Fishlegs says, backtracking quickly.

"Yes, it was," Tuffnut insists. "You've just never seen me from the left side until now."

[The scene cuts to a montage of Hiccup designing and creating Toothless' first prosthetic tail. The scene cuts again, and Hiccup is back in the cove, with a giant basket of fish and the prosthetic fin.]

"Hey, Toothless," Hiccup greets the dragon with a smile. "I brought breakfast. I hope you're hungry." He drops the basket onto the ground. He tips it over so that all the fish pour out, pulling a face as he does so.

"Okay, that's disgusting. Uh... we've got some salmon, some nice Icelandic cod, and a whole smoked eel."

"An eel?" Snotlout guffaws. "You tried to feed a dragon an eel?"

"How was I supposed to know that it would get him sick?" Hiccup retorts defensively.

Toothless recoils, screeching in alarm at the sight of the eel.

"No, no, no, no!" Hiccup exclaims hurriedly. He picks up the eel, and tosses it into the lake, wiping his hand on his tunic. "It's okay. Yeah, I don't really like eel much either."

"Why not?" Stoick asks, seemingly unaware of this.

"It's the texture, isn't it?" Zephyr guesses.

"Yep," Hiccup concurs. "I'm guessing you don't care for them either?"

Zephyr scrunches up her nose in disgust. "Nope."

"Like father like daughter," Heather whispers to Fishlegs.

Toothless sniffs the fish before starting to eat it. While he's distracted, Hiccup sneaks toward his tail.

"Okay. That's it. That's it, just stick with good stuff," Hiccup says. "And don't you mind me. I'll just be back here... minding my own business."

Hiccup sits on Toothless' tail and attaches the new tail-fin. He sits up to admire his work.

"It's okay. Okay... okay... There," he mumbles. "That's not too bad. It works."

Toothless stops eating and perks up, seemingly realizing he might be able to fly again. Toothless takes off with Hiccup quite literally on his tail. They head towards a rock wall.

"Whoa! No! No! No!" Hiccup yelps, quickly adjusting the tail fin and they dodge the wall. "OH, MY-- IT'S WORKING! YES! YES, I DID IT!"

"Only you would be cheering about being attached to a wild Night Fury trying to fly," Astrid remarks, slightly amused.

Toothless realizes Hiccup is on his tail and throws him off and into the lake. Unable to steer the fin on his own, he crashes into the lake.

"Yeah!" Hiccup exclaims as he bursts through the surface of the water.