Chapter 8: How to Train Your Dragon

[Scene cuts to the Arena, in the middle of a training session]

"You know, I just happened to notice the book had nothing on Night Furies," Hiccup remarks while trying to keep an eye out for a Nadder. "Is there another book? Or a sequel? Maybe a little Night Fury pamphlet?"

"A Night Fury pamphlet?" Astrid asks him, amused.

Hiccup chuckles, slightly embarrassed.

"So that was what that was about," Gobber realises.

The Nadder fires at him.

"WHOA!" He yelps as it shoots at him.

"Focus, Hiccup!" Gobber yells. "You're not even trying! Today is all about ATTACK! Nadders are quick and light on their feet! Your job is to be quicker and lighter!"

Fishlegs screams. "I'm really beginning to question your teaching methods!"

"Me, too," Valka mutters under her breath.

"Look for its blind spot," Gobber suggests. "Every dragon has one. Find it, hide in it, and strike!"

"Ugh!" Ruffnut says to her brother. "Do you ever bathe?"

"If you don't like it, then just get your own blind spot!" Tuffnut snaps.

"You didn't answer the question," Mrs Thorston says sharply. "Do you?"

Tuffnut avoids all eye contact with his mother.

She sighs, shaking her head in exasperation.

"How about I give you one?" Ruffnut snarls.

The Nadder attacks the twins.

"Blind spot, yes," Gobber chuckles. "Deaf spot? Not so much."

"Why aren't you helping them?" Mrs Thorston exclaims. "They could be killed!"

"Uh, Mom?" Ruffnut calls out. "We're still here." She motions to both her and her brother.

"Hey, so how would one sneak up on a Night Fury?" Hiccup asks Gobber again.

"No one's ever met one and lived to tell the tale," Gobber deadpans as the Nadder snaps. "NOW, GET IN THERE!"

"I know, I know, but hypothetically-"

"Hiccup!" Astrid whisper-shouts, interrupting him. "Get down!"

"Watch out, babe," Snotlout tells her, standing up. "I'll take care of this."

He tosses his hammer at the Nadder, but misses.

Spitelout facepalms again.

"Hey!" Astrid snaps, annoyed.

"The sun was in my eyes, Astrid!" Snotlout complains. "What do you want me to do, block out the sun? I could do that, but I don't have time right now!"

"They probably take the daytime off," Hiccup continues. "You know, like a cat. Has anyone ever seen one napping?"

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Astrid groans.

"Hiccup!" Gobber shouts.

The walls start toppling as Astrid starts leaping from wall to wall, the Nadder behind her. Astrid jumps off the last collapsing wall, right onto Hiccup.

"HICCUP!" She screams as she falls.

"Oooh! Love on the battlefield!" Tuffnut taunts them.

"She could do better," Ruffnut remarks.

Astrid shoots her a dirty look.

"No, she can't," Heather yells out.

"Yes, she can," Hiccup mutters under his breath.

Astrid hears him, and elbows him slightly. He winces, and grunts in pain.

"No I can't," Astrid says firmly.

Hiccup nods.

"Just... let me... why don't you..." Hiccup stammers.

Astrid yanks the axe off Hiccup's shield and swings it at the Nadder, destroying the shield. Some of the remnants of the shield is still stuck to the blade of her axe, though.

"Well done, Astrid," Gobber praises her.

"Is this some kind of a joke to you?" She snaps at Hiccup. "Our parents' war is about to become ours! Figure out which side you're on."

Astrid winces at her younger self's words. She opens her mouth to apologise again.

"Don't," Hiccup says softly, but firmly. "I know that you're going to apologise again, and as I've told you hundreds of times, even before today, I've already forgiven you a long time ago."

A/N: Here's your chapter. Sorry it's really short. I'm at school right now. 

By the way, shoutout to my friend, Meg, for creating the cover for my book.