Dancing like butterfly wings

Despite Seonghwa's assurances, Zoey was sure she was dreaming. The evening had ended in the most peculiar way. First, she had been terrified when she had been left in the room backstage with no explanation. That fear didn't dissipate when Hongjoong joined her. She didn't understand why they would be in a room alone together and even with his attempts to make her feel at ease she was still wary.

Zoey had still been on edge when he held out his hands to her, as she wasn't sure of his intentions. However, the warmth of his smile and the echoing feeling of safety she had felt earlier when their hands met at the Hi-Touch, convinced her to indulge him. As her hands touched his, she felt it again. It was faint enough that she didn't think much of it.

When he brought Yunho in, she understood that Hongjoong was expecting her to feel something when their hands touched. What she didn't understand was why, why should she feel something when they touched. Zoey's heart pounded as Hongjoong stared at her desperately while clutching her hand.

The final puzzle piece fell into place when they showed her their soul-marks, but she still denied it. The idea of them being her soulmates hadn't even crossed her mind until this point. It was such an impossible idea. A daydream maybe, but not a reality for someone like her.

Realising that you had found your soulmates should bring about a lot of emotion, such as happiness, excitement, or overwhelming joy. However, Zoey had never been good with emotions. Her emotions in particular. She struggled to understand what she felt, and that was only if she felt anything at all. 

Something had happened and one day she had started to shut off her emotions. She would laugh, smile, or cry over a k-drama, but if it was real life, her life, then she often felt nothing. It scared her because she didn't know how to turn it back on. Zoey had put up a wall that she couldn't knock down herself and as years passed by it had become her new normal.

When Zoey had started yawning, they had decided to put off any more talking until the next day and had asked her to meet them at their hotel. She had work in the morning but told them she could come around mid-afternoon. As it was so late they insisted on getting a car to drive her home, which she was grateful for as she had been worried about travelling alone so late at night.

The next day she wondered if the whole thing had been a dream. If it hadn't been for the new numbers on her phone and the message with the address of a hotel, she truly would've doubted it. Even as she finished work, Zoey hesitated on going to the hotel, but the memory of their faces as they showed her their soul-marks pushed her forwards. As nervous as she was to spend more time alone with them, she knew she would never forgive herself if she gave up this opportunity.

Her hands gripped the strap of her bag as Zoey entered the hotel. She walked over to the edge of the foyer so that she wasn't in anyone's way and got out her phone. Finding Hongjoong's message, she replied to say that she was here and then waited. There was no reply but about five minutes later a figure appeared next to her.

"Hello, Zoey."

Seonghwa had been the one to come down and get her. Zoey blushed and stumbled over her own greeting as he led her to the elevator. She couldn't stop herself from stealing glances at him. On-screen she had always been stunned by his beauty, but he was even more captivating in real life. Whenever he looked her way she would look away. Although she had watched enough content to know that he was the epitome of kindness, he still had this intimidating aura about him that meant she couldn't look him in the eye.

"I'm sorry my English is not good."

"What? No! Your English is great. Better than my Korean."

"You know Korean?"

"A little. Simple sentences."

"Really?!"

Zoey fidgeted under Seonghwa's gaze knowing that he was hoping for a demonstration.

"H-hello, my name is Zoey. It's nice to meet you."

"That was great! Perfect."

"Thank you."

"I think not tell others this. Big surprise. Okay?"

"Okay."

When they made it to the room, he opened the door and gestured for her to go in first. Hongjoong, Yeosang and Jongho were waiting inside and they all stood up when they saw her. They all took a step forwards as if they wanted to approach her, but then stopped. As she was so nervous around them yesterday they agreed not to crowd her today until she was more comfortable. Hongjoong was the only one to move closer to her.

"Hello, Zoey. How are you today?"

"I'm fine, thank you. And you?"

"We are happy to see you again."

The boys all smiled as Zoey blushed and looked down shyly. Seonghwa came up behind her and ushered her further into the room. Yeosang stepped away from the seat he had been sitting in and gestured to it.

"You can sit here."

Zoey smiled at him in thanks before sitting down. Jongho grunted as Yeosang plopped himself in the Maknae's lap. There was a moment of silence and Hongjoong and Seonghwa exchanged glances wondering how to approach this.

"I think we have a lot to talk about, but shall we get to know each other first?"