Part 3

Three days later, in the late morning, Natasha was sprawled on the main sofa, feet crossed by the cushion, reading a novel whilst Melina was with Yelena in the other room for piano practice.

Following the event on the terrace, and with the temperance that goes along with the passing of time, Natasha came to the conclusion she might have misread the Earl's possible intentions. The surprise and the baseless fears it had begot made way for more sound and less distrustful thinking. And her mind was now at ease, albeit positively surprised that a man behaved differently than what she expected and dreaded.

One of the valets stepped into the room.

"Earl Rogers has just called in," he announced.

The book almost fell out of her hands. "Are you sure?" she asked, then upon realising the silliness of her question, got up on her feet and straightened up her dress. "Invite him, please."

"Shall I inform the Baroness?" he asked.

"That will be all right," she answered and he nodded at her before walking off.

She paced, suddenly thrown back in the same mindset as when he had caught her on the terrace. His visit could not be a coincidence. Her mind was torn between dread and the smug satisfaction she might have been right after all.

She stood still, and in her most dignified posture when she heard footsteps approaching. The Earl walked in; he was dressed in an elegant navy wool tailcoat, with a silk baby blue waistcoat underneath that brought his eyes out, white trousers, and leather boots. His cravat, the same colour as his tailcoat, was wrapped around his neck.

A smile came across his face upon seeing her standing in the middle of the room. She hardly noticed, though, as her eyes were glued on the bouquet of flowers in his arm.

An odd combination of proud triumph that her suspicions had been correct and the slight displeasure at the Earl's coming attempt to manipulate her brewed inside of her.

"Good day, Miss Romanoff. It's a pleasure to see you again," he greeted with a formal bow.

She bowed as well, although her heart was not in it. "Lord Rogers. Your pleasant visit comes quite as a surprise," she answered and glanced down at the flowers. Her eyes hardened slightly, suddenly feeling protective. "Pardon my honesty, my Lord, but I did not realise you had taken an interest in my sister and now seek to court her."

His smile was replaced by a slight frown of surprise.

It all made perfect sense now. The Earl had probably grown a liking for Yelena after that dance and he saw the terrace incident as a fortunate opportunity to win the older sister's approval, or submit her to silence.

"You should be made aware that I concern myself about her happiness and future. And I should like her to marry a respectful gentleman whose affection is genuine and commitment to her unyielding. She deserves no less. I hope you understand that I shall not make a concession on either of these and that I cannot be easily swayed by any feeling of obligation or indebtedness."

She was glad she could say her piece and looked at him with unabated confidence. He probed her with a slightly puzzled expression.

"I am sure she will appreciate the flowers, though."

Steve glanced down at the bouquet in his arm. He smiled widely.

"Your devotion to your sister is worthy of praise, my Lady. But I am afraid there is a misunderstanding. The flowers aren't for Miss Yelena, although she would certainly deserve being the object of such gesture."

She furrowed her brows, eyeing him intently. The gleam of amusement in his eyes only was bended with slight embarrassment. Was it possible she were the object of his gesture? It would still explain why he had been so adamant to modify the circumstances of the broken sculpture. It would also explain why he was in the gardens the same moment she was — perhaps he had followed her there seeking an opportunity to talk to her after she had declined his invitation to dance.