Part 6

A fortnight later, Melina and her two daughters were travelling across the English countryside in the coach. Yelena had her nose in a novel, next to Natasha who was sitting in absolute silence and stillness, her eyes roaming all around, whilst Melina had been uttering what she called the "final advice" for the fifth time at least. Earl Rogers and his mother had invited them, along with other guests, to spend a few days at the family Manor. For Melina Romanoff, it was a fantastic opportunity to get closer to securing marriage if not with the Earl himself, with one of the other guest bachelors.

"I don't need to remind you that staying at the Earl's Manor means that you will be watched at all times."

"Indeed, you do not, mama." Yelena quipped in from behind her book.

Melina ignored the comment as if her daughter had just read one of the lines from her book aloud.

"You should be on your best behaviour from the moment you flutter your eyelids open to the moment you close them again in the evening."

"Does it mean Yelena isn't allowed to snore?" Natasha commented with a smirk before letting out a squeal because Yelena had just hit her arm with the back of her book.

"I could not be more serious. Being invited to Starbrook Manor is a privilege and a sign that our family has earned respect. Show you are worthy of this appreciation," their mother warned, then added after a pause: "and if it means sleeping with cotton in your mouths for the next three days then so be it."

Yelena yanked her book down to show a big glare as Melina smiled mischievously. Natasha chuckled softly then turned her attention to the scenery rolling outside. Green oaks and flowery bushes followed one another under a clement sky. She continued wriggling her fingers around the handkerchief clasped in her fist like she had been doing since they had moved away from the city landscapes.

She could not explain why but part of her was nervous at the thought of spending several days at the Earl's house. She feared that minimising interactions would be a more arduous task than usual. As much as she enjoyed his company, she felt like she was slowly losing control of her thoughts and emotions in his presence. It had started as innocently as noticing that her usual urge to be incisively sarcastic had waned almost completely and was replaced by the desire to laugh along with him and, with time, it had aggravated with the quiet yearning for his company, not only for his stimulating conversation but for the unfamiliar, truly unsettling and yet delectable sensation that his physical proximity or the sight of his most pleasant attributes aroused deep inside her.

Sarah had been most pleased when her son had responded with more enthusiasm and interest to the mention of the Romanoffs whilst reading the guests list to him. She took it a sign that, maybe, Steve had changed his mind and was now willing to consider the young Yelena a desirable match. With the great interest that the lady had garnered amongst the bachelors, Sarah found herself fostering the renewed hope that her son could be the one to marry the Court's favourite.

It had been easy until now to keep these emotions under control but she now dreaded that being under the scrutiny of so many prying eyes and his unavoidable presence would raise suspicions.

After a long time of reflection following the receipt of the formal invitation, and now again on their journey to the estate, she came to the conclusion staying at a distance and reducing the chances of encounters with the Earl was her best and most reasonable chance of coming out of this stay unscathed.

When she felt her head would burst from the incessant thinking and planning, she pulled away from the door and rested her head on Yelena's shoulder to distract herself with some reading.

But it was the misfortune of the afflicted to be laughed at by the Universe. Regrettably, she found it was Jane Austen's latest publication.

At Starbrook Manor, the Earl sealed some last letters and brought them downstairs to be taken to the carrier. He found Sarah tending to some last-minute preparations with the household staff despite the safe supervision of the Steward. It appeared his mother was determined to make the best impression on the guests and ensure everybody finds their stay enjoyable. He also suspected that her meticulous attention to detail betrayed her pressing desire to ease the outcome of a happy match announcement by the end of the week.