Part 9

That same week, Lady Appleton held her ball with much satisfaction and pride. Eager and determined to marry off her daughter by the end of the social season, she viewed this event as the best opportunity to focus the (male) guests' attention on Carolyn.

Lady Appleton had been teasing the ball since the morning following the Duchess Somerset's opening ball (as it wasn't permitted nor proper to advertise one's own event until after her Grace had ceremoniously brought hers to a close, unofficially setting the competition amongst the other Ladies).

Her goal, hardly concealed, was to ensure that the Earl and the Dowager Countess Rogers would be made feel at such ease in a luxurious and flawless setting that the most coveted bachelor would decide to seal a betrothal with Carolyn on that very evening.

Quite an ambitious scheme, but one Lady Appleton was confident she could achieve. The Earl had made himself rather available for and attentive during their conversations at Starbrook Manor. He had even commended much heartily Carolyn's gift for harp playing. Surely, this never failed to impress any gentleman but she had been particularly pleased to hear the compliment from a man with a taste as refined as the Earl's.

As she believed marriage was always won with particulars, and because the Devil is in the details, Lady Appleton had spent the past few weeks planning the ball to the slightest specifics, going as far as picking colours and flowers about which, she knew, the Dowager Countess would be delighted about and to which, she hoped, the Earl would be sensitive.

The house staff had been instructed to inform her as soon as Lord Rogers' coach would pull over. She squirmed slightly as she muffled a squeal and chased her daughter across the ballroom.

Carolyn had a mixed reaction: the exciting prospect of being the centre of attention — and therefore the Earl's as well — and the exasperation of enduring her overbearing mother's advice and supervision when she thought herself perfectly capable of gaining his favours by herself.

The Earl, The Dowager Countess and Mr. Barnes soon entered the ballroom, and greeted Lady Appleton and her daughter as soon as they passed the door.

Lord Rogers was his usual dashing self, neatly dressed in a black evening suit with a single jasmine flower pinned inside his pocket in lieu of his usual white handkerchief. He courteously greeted his hosts although his demeanour appeared tenser than normally, his eyes sweeping across the crowd of guests already present.

Lady Appleton gave her daughter a pointed look as a silent cue to hold the Earl's attention. Carolyn cleared her throat as she took a step closer to him and extended her hand.

"We are most delighted to have you tonight...all of you," she added, expeditiously looking at Sarah and James.

Steve recentred his focus on the young lady. He took her hand up to his chin and air-kissed it.

"Miss Appleton, the pleasure is mine." Then he let go of her hand and stood erect. "I am sure you and your mother have planned memorable festivities," he conversed, clasping both his hands behind his back.

Lady Appleton chuckled giddily, her ego complacently stroked. "Quite modest, I assure you, in comparison to the ones that were bestowed on us at Starbrook Manor," she answered displaying a honeyed smile. "Please enjoy your time tonight."

It sounded like the official closure of the formal greetings, thus the Earl bowed and started off, searching for Miss Romanoff whom he hadn't seen since she had left the country house.

"My Lord, Carolyn will give you a tour of the house and show you the family's art collection."

Carolyn beamed and rushed over him, binding her arm to his. "This will only take a moment," she assured.