Part 8

The next few days were quite monotonous at Starbrook Manor and seemed dormant, lacking the sparkle from the previous week.

After sorting duties that had grown routinely with time, the Earl and his mother left for London to join the Social Season again.

"You have been rather distracted lately, Steve," Sarah said as he was gazing absent-mindedly at the weeping willow when they rode past it.

He cleared his throat and shifted his attention back inside the coach. He looked across at her.

"My apologies, mother. I supposed I've had a lot on my mind."

Sarah nodded with a smile and eyed him closely. "Would a lot happen to be a lady, perhaps?" she asked. He froze a little enough for her to take the hint and make that triumphant look every mama flaunted proudly as proof of their infallible maternal instincts.

"Mostly business-related matters, really." And he crossed his legs in an awkward attempt to look comfortable.

"Darling, don't push me away. You promised I would be the first person informed if there was a promising development in regards to marriage."

He brushed his finger over his lips — he recalled his promise was phrased quite differently.

"It's complicated," he answered with more despondency than he had intended to. "And, as such, something I would rather not dwell on just yet."

Sarah nodded complyingly although she could not, for the life of her, comprehend how or why a match with her son, the most eligible bachelor in London, could possibly be complicated.

"I understand that burgeoning feelings can feel confusing at first, but I have the utmost faith in you," she commented with a comforting expression.

He gave her a grateful nod — it was, perhaps, the most suitable advice he could receive at this moment. Then, after a reprieve, she inquired with a teasing smile, "is it one of the ladies we hosted at Starbrook?"

He chuckled at her hopeless sense of curiosity but it successfully lifted his spirits and lightened the mood. And maybe, he realised, it had been his mother's true intention. Steve peered quietly, building anticipation.

"Yes," he answered simply but with softness in his voice and in his gaze.

And Sarah Rogers' eyes gleamed with emotion.

________________________________________________________

When the coach pulled over at their London house, Whitmore Residence, Bucky was waiting at the gate. The two friends warmly greeted each other.

"Thank you for concluding the deal," Steve said, "and sorry you missed most of the festivities."

"I'm glad I could be of service. And, in truth, I found it quite enjoyable!" James said with genuine enthusiasm. "This might make for an interesting career change."

Steve patted his arm and then they went into his office to discuss the details of the agreement and the paperwork.

"This is an excellent agreement. You negotiated better terms than I would have myself," he commented as he read the documents.

"If this is your attempt at coxing me for more favours in the foreseeable future then it is working," James answered smugly. "I also came across Beaumaris and he said he would be very much interested in being part of this new deal. He solicited an interview this evening."

He stiffened slightly. "Beaumaris, you say? I'm not too keen on an association with him." His questionable manners at the Gentleman's Club, and more recently at the ball, further confirmed he was fine keeping the man as a mere acquaintance.