Part 4

The day after receiving the letter, Natasha and the family attended another ball. She watched closely the audience from her spot with a slightly stiff posture. The idea of facing the Earl so soon made her more uncomfortable than she would ever admit. She was not used to being in a disadvantaged position with a man. Staying in control of the narrative was her best way to anticipate and deflect the next steps if needs be.

"Relax," Yelena murmured softly as she came to stand by her side. "I heard Carolyn, who heard it from Lady Wharton who heard it herself from the Dowager Countess Rogers that her son had gone to the family estate to attend the local council. You won't have to face the Earl, tonight." Yelena slurred Carolyn Appleton's name with unreserved contempt — she was the biggest gossip in the ton, fervently devoted to the role.

Natasha shot her a quipped look. "When did I ever say I don't want to face the Earl?"

Yelena smirked. "So, you do want to see him," she commented matter-of-factly. Natasha glared at her — she was in no mood to bear her sister playing her convoluted mind games. These were fun to watch when they directly involved Melina — or even better, Alexei — but certainly not when they concerned Lord Rogers.

Yelena knew everything that had to be known about the events that had unfolded between the Earl and herself. She had confided in her about the terrace incident, the most terrible misunderstanding that ensued when he called in with the flowers, and even his presumptuous note. Yelena had listened to the entire tale like she was devouring one of her mawkish Jane Austen novels. Although she admired the writer's undeniably refined and witty way with words and the woman's determination to make a name as a renowned author, she could not quite give much credence to the excessive sentimentality of the characters. She had first tried to suggest other reading recommendations to Yelena but realised she should not stifle the romantic inclinations inherent to a young woman of her age.

Yelena slipped her arm through hers with a playful smile.

"What do you think of the Earl? I know what his opinion of you is, and I am curious to hear what you think of him."

Natasha held her chin high and let out a disgruntled sigh. "I think he is too self-righteous, and therefore positively boring. He is probably looking for a goody-two-shoes of a wife who will return the feeling so they can join in righteous matrimony and live the most mundane existence. The very thought of it is yawn-inducing."

"He didn't sound so boring in his letter," Yelena answered.

Natasha gave a quick nudge in her ribs. "Keep your voice down, will you?"

Yelena let out an almost devilish laugh. "I know you better than you know yourself, sister, and I know you do not despise the Earl as much as you do the other gentlemen of the ton, nor are you through with him yet because he has turned out to be a surprising challenge. And you love nothing more than a challenge, Natasha."

Yelena purred the words like an imp gaily wreaking havoc.

"Don't you have suitors to dance with?" Natasha answered back with a pressing rictus. Yelena savoured her victory with a content expression. She teasingly tucked one of her sister's locks of hair behind her ear. "Remember to inform your favourite sister of the next developments."

The assertiveness of her statement, as if it left no room for other probabilities than future developments, stung her. Yelena walked away slowly before a bachelor flew in out of nowhere and approached her.

As lovely and peaceful as the ball was that evening, Natasha departed with the feeling it was dully peaceful as if, somewhere in a corner of her mind, she had expected this routinely social occurrence to be more eventful.