The Promise

King's POV

I watched as Felix walked very slowly, with his head down in the school hallways that day. I could tell he was on the verge of tears. He was constantly spinning the ring on his finger as he walked, and when he ran into someone he didn't even look up-- he just kept walking.

I knew something wasn't right. I wasn't going to do anything because it was none of my business, but then I remembered a conversation I had with someone a few days before.

~~

I walked among the flames, happy to be in my demon form. I only got to be like that when I was at home or in Hell, which I guess was home too. I had just visited my parents separately. We weren't close, but they liked when I came down occasionally to catch up. And let them know I haven't grown to loathe them yet.

As I was walking I realized I recognize a kid that I saw wandering around. He was from my school.

I walked up to him, "Hey, what's your name?"

"Um, Mattie..." he said hesitantly.

He did go to my school. That was the boy that died in the car crash a few days before, it killed him and his sister. I wondered what he did to land in Hell.

To make him a little more comfortable, I changed back into my human form.

His eyes widened, "King? Wha-" he stopped for a second, "You know it doesn't even really surprise me. Did you die or are the rumors that you're a demon true?"

I shrugged, "Yes and no. My father is the Devil."

"Nice."

"So why are you here?"

"Car crash."

I rolled my eyes, "No, what bad shit did you do to get into Hell?"

"Oh... um in middle school and early high school I got in with the wrong crowd. Did drugs, drank... I was involved in a hit and run, I wasn't the one driving but I was one of the people yelling to leave. Add that to other sins everyone has... yeah I don't think I was ever going to heaven."

"Your bestie know about all that?"

I didn't know them that well but everyone in the school knew how close Mattie and Felix were... when Mattie was still alive, anyway.

He shook his head, looking sad, "No... wait, man, could you do something for me?"

I raised an eyebrow at him, "What?"

"Please make sure Felix takes care of himself, make sure he doesn't do anything bad or drastic out of grief. He's been struggling with depression for the past few years, I don't think he will be able to cope with my death alone. Please, man."

I hesitated for a minute.

I was not a guardian angel. And Felix was a kind of soft guy, I wouldn't have been surprised if he was scared of me. But I knew what Mattie meant. If Felix wasn't stable as it was, the loss of his best friend would make him do something he'd regret. Normally I wouldn't care but my human side of me was yelling at me to help him.

I nodded, "Sure, I'll make sure he doesn't kill himself."

"Thank you."

~~

I didn't think he was in a good headspace. I knew I should watch him and make sure he didn't do anything bad.

I followed him at a distance. He walked very slowly out of the school and when he got into his car, he sat there for ten minutes not doing anything. He was just staring off into the distance, not even crying even though it was evident he was very depressed. 

When he finally did drive away, I followed him in my car. He drove slowly and distractedly, he got honked at many times but he didn't fix his driving. Using a special demon power, I could see the tears on his cheeks and more flowing out of his eyes.

I followed him for thirty minutes, he seemed to drive around aimlessly until we got into the city. He pulled into a parking lot, paid, and then parked his car. I followed but parked a distance away from him. Again, he sat there for a little bit before he got out of his car. He walked into the tall building that was next to the parking lot. I got out of my car and followed him inside.

When I couldn't find him anywhere, I asked the lady standing behind the front desk of the building. 

"Excuse me, did a boy with circle glasses just walk in here?"

"Yes."

"He's my friend, I'm trying to find him, could you tell me where he went?"

I tried to sound concerned and it worked because she nodded, "He went up the stairs, he looked upset. I'm not sure what he's doing here."

"Okay, thank you," I said quickly before I ran to the stairwell.

I looked up and I could barely see or hear him, which told me he was already almost at the top. I had a bad feeling about what was about to happen so I ran up the stairs. There were a lot of flights, I had no idea how he got so high so fast. When I finally got to the top, I opened the door quietly so I wouldn't startle him. At first, I didn't see him as I scanned the whole roof. 

But then I saw him.

He was standing on the ledge with his arms out.

I quickly ran over to him and wrapped my arms around his stomach and dragged him back.

"L-Let go of me!" He screamed, hitting my arms.

I dragged him far away from the ledge, "No way."

He began to sob, "Please... I just want t-to see him again..."

"Shhh, just breathe, Felix. Breathe."

I brought him over to the wall away from the edge of the building and I sat down. I held him close to me so he couldn't get away to try to jump. He sobbed and cried for a long time, I thought he'd never calm down. But eventually, he did, and all that could be heard at the top of the roof were some of his sniffles and cars honking.

"Why did you stop me?.." he asked me so quietly, I almost didn't hear him.

"Because Mattie doesn't want you to die."

He turned his head to look at me and his eyes widened slightly. I wasn't surprised, he probably wasn't expecting to see me.

"W-wh-"

"It's not important how I know that or why I am here. You're alive, Felix, and you aren't going to be dead anytime soon. Okay?"

He nodded.