Panic Attack

I wrote down all of my questions and decided that I would write down whatever others I thought of as I went. And I would cross them out as I ask. The questions were basic because I figured if I asked too specific questions then he would be vaguer when answering. The questions were just like why did you follow me, how did you know Mattie didn't want me to die, why did you care that I looked sad, and others like that. I wasn't sure what order to ask the questions but I figured I'd ask whichever I felt like asking at the moment. I was nervous about the answers, honestly, but I needed to know.

That day, when I wrote down all of the questions I had at the moment, I decided that I was going to do something.

I sat down across from King and handed him my phone, "Give me your phone number."

He looked at me, "Why would I do that?"

I rolled my eyes and set it down in front of him, "So I can ask you my questions on weekends. It'll take longer if I can only ask on weekdays."

It took him a second but he grabbed my phone and typed in his name and number. When he handed it back I laughed a little. He put his name and then a devil emoji beside it.

"Is the emoji supposed to intimidate me?"

He looked at me with a blank expression, "Something like that."

"Okay... well here's my question for today. Why did you follow me that day?"

"I could tell something was wrong, so I followed you," he stated simply.

Ugh, that just made me more curious. Why was he watching me to know that something was wrong? Why did he care? He could have easily ignored me and gone home. But he didn't. Why?

"We have to come up with some other way to do this. One question a day is too slow."

"Has anyone ever told you patience is a virtue?"

I shrugged, "Maybe a fortune cookie once."

He rolled his eyes but I saw a small smile-smirk-thing at the corner of his lips.

"Come on, how about three questions a day?"

"If we're going that route then that was your second question."

I glared at him, "Why are you so difficult?"

He smirked, "It's fun. Want that to be your third question?"

I shook my head quickly and then sighed, "Okay so I get one more question. Here it is. How do you know Mattie doesn't want me to die?"

He stood up, about to leave, "Because he told me."

What?

I stood up quickly and grabbed his wrist so he couldn't walk away, "What do you mean he told you? He knew he was going to die beforehand? King, you have to tell me, please."

I was on the verge of tears.

It was a car crash. Mattie was driving with his sister in the passenger seat. It was a green light, they were driving through the intersection when a car came speeding through. It crashed into the passenger side, Makayla got killed on impact and Mattie died in the hospital from blood loss. A part of the car stabbed him in his stomach and the car was very crushed so the people couldn't get to him on time. It couldn't have been a suicide. But why else would Mattie...

My breathing began to get very heavy, the room started spinning and everything got blurry... then everything went black.

I woke up in a bright room, laying on a very uncomfortable surface. I opened my eyes and looked around, I was in the nurse's office. The nurse wasn't in the room, but King was standing in the corner.

I sat up slowly, putting my hand on my throbbing head, "What happened?"

"Don't stand up. You had a panic attack."

"Why?"

His expression softened slightly, I almost didn't notice, "You started to panic about Mattie's death. You fell to the floor crying and shaking, I brought you here, and you passed out after a little bit."

"Thank you..."

He nodded.

The nurse came into the room, "Felix, you're awake, good. How are you feeling?"

"My head is killing me, but other than that fine."

She nodded, "You had quite the attack, it isn't surprising your head hurts. Right now, it's fifth hour, you can leave if you don't think you'll be able to manage the rest of the day. But if you do, I suggest getting a ride. In case you have another panic attack."

"No, I'll be okay. I can drive myself."

"I'll give him a ride home," King said, taking a step closer to me.

I looked over at him, "You don't have to do that, you've already done so much for me."

He shook his head and came over to me, "I insist."

"It's settled then. I'll fill out slips for the two of you to get excused from the last two school periods."

She went into her office and I looked at King again, "Thank you for all that you're doing for me."

"You don't need to thank me. I'm the one that sent you into this spiral."

I shook my head but stopped quickly after I remembered my awful headache "I was the one who overthought. And the one who keeps annoying you with questions."

He was about to say something but the nurse came back in and handed us our slips, "Here you go. Show this to the front desk lady and you can leave. Take it easy the rest of the day, Felix. Panic attacks are very hard on the body and mind."

I gave her a small smile, "Thank you."

King and I walked in silence to the parking lot, where we stopped in front of my car.

He held his hand out, palm up.

I looked at him confused, "What?"

"Key."

"Oh," I mumbled quietly before handing him my key.

We got into my car in silence but he didn't go right away. He seemed like he was thinking.

"Are your parents home?"

I shook my head, wincing as my head throbbed, "No they're at work."

"Do you want me to just drop you off at home, or do you want to have your questions answered?"