More Questions

I felt my eyes widen, "Like all at once?"

He nodded.

"Yes."

He nodded again and then began driving. The drive to my house was silent, and so was the walk into the house and then into the living room.

"Oh, sorry, do you want anything to eat or drink?" I asked, standing up again.

He shook his head and motioned for me to sit, "I'm okay."

I nodded, "So... um... that night. You followed me because you knew something wasn't right. But why? You could have easily gone home and ignored me..."

"My answer won't make sense to you but I'll tell you anyway. I did what I did because Mattie asked me to watch over you. To make sure you weren't alone and didn't do anything drastic out of grief. No, he didn't plan his death."

I furrowed my eyebrows. None of that made any sense.

"But-"

"Don't try to wrap your head around it just yet, your brain is still affected by the panic attack earlier. Just ask me questions."

I nodded, "Okay, um... well, you don't know me. You didn't know Mattie. Why would you watch over me?"

He leaned back and shrugged, "To be honest I don't know. I just felt compelled to help you."

I looked down, feeling a weird feeling while looking into his dark eyes.

"When did he ask you to look after me? And what did he say... specifically?"

"A few days after he died. He told me to make sure you take care of yourself and don't do anything drastic out of grief. He told me you've been struggling with depression for a bit. And he doesn't think you'll be able to cope with his death alone. I know that doesn't make sense to you but I'm not lying."

I shook my head, tears forming in my eyes as I looked back into King's eyes, "How is that possible? Please tell me."

"You're too unstable at the moment, I can't. I will tell you another day."

I scooted closer to him and grabbed his hand with both of mine, "Please, King."

He shook his head and stood up, "Get some rest, Felix."

I sighed and nodded, "I will."

He nodded back at me and then left through my front door, locking it on his way out. A few minutes later was when the tears started spilling out of my eyes. I ended up crying myself to sleep and woke up to my mom gently shaking me because dinner was ready. She didn't ask me what was wrong, only if I was okay and if I wanted to talk. I told her I was okay, and that I'd let her know if that changed.

After dinner, I laid down in my bed in the dark. I wasn't tired, I wanted to think. I thought about everything that King told me. And I tried to make sense of it. At some point I tired myself out by thinking about it, and I fell asleep.

**

"So... how's your day been?"

He looked at me with a straight face, "Seriously? Small talk?"

I shrugged, "I don't know! You don't like small talk?"

"It's boring and anxious," he said before taking a drink of his Dr. Pepper.

He brought a different soda every day of the week, it was strange. Monday was Orange Fanta, Tuesday was Mountain Dew, Wednesday was Pepsi, Thursday was Dr. Pepper. And Friday he brought a big bottle of smart water. Each day he chugged the whole can during lunch too, and on Fridays, he downed the whole big bottle of smart water. It was crazy.

"What?"

I shook my head, "Huh?"

"You were staring at my can."

I laughed awkwardly, "Oh, sorry. Just thinking... it's kind of funny how you drink specific pops on specific days."

"It's hard for me to choose a favorite so I drink a different one each day," he stated blankly before going back to eating.

I smiled a little, "That's fair."

He rolled his eyes but I saw a small smile play on his lips, "You want to ask more questions don't you?"

I nodded.

He quickly drank the rest of his pop and then looked at me again, "Ask."

"Um, so Mattie told you a few days after his death to watch over me. That's why when you saw I was sad you followed me and then saved my life. How is that possible? He's... he's gone. How did he tell you after to help me?"

"Do you believe in heaven and hell?"

I nodded.

"Angels and demons?"

I nodded again, "Why?"

"Some people pray to God and others pray to the Devil. When a mother asks God for a child, there aren't any tricks. When a mother asks the Devil for a child, he grants the wish but that child becomes half-human and half-demon. Angels are God's followers. Demons are the Devil's followers, and angels that betrayed God."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "How is any of this relevant?"

"My mother was a very sad and evil woman. But she wanted a child of her own. She couldn't have one so she asked the Devil. Then I was born. And I have an ability not many others have. This ability allowed me to be able to talk to Mattie after his death."

"I don't understand."

He shook his head, "You don't need to. I just answered your question."

"So... what... you're telling me you're a demon?"

"Don't try to wrap your mind around it. Any other questions about Mattie?"

I shook my head, tears forming in my eyes, "I don't get any of this. I just want to see him again..."

He was silent for a moment before he spoke again, "Would you like to say goodbye to him?"

"W-what?" I asked, looking up at King through my teary eyes.

"I can take you to him."

I shook my head, "I don't know if I want to go see his grave..."

"I don't mean visit his grave. I'm going to come to your house after school and I will take you to him. Okay?"

"...okay."

I finished eating my food while trying to get my tears to go away.

I didn't get any of it. Was he telling me he was a demon? The rumors were actually true? That couldn't be possible. But how else could he have talked to Mattie after his death? I didn't believe King was lying but I didn't know how to believe that he was telling the complete truth.