► un plan

CAN WE ALL HAVE A HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR LOSTGIRL1511 WHO HAS HELPED ME WITH ALL MY FRENCH IN THIS BOOK BECAUSE I CAN'T SPEAK IT :))))  

Once Daphne and Marie had parted their ways, Daphne returned to the Bridgerton household with a broad grin on her face. "What makes you so happy, Sister?" Colin queried, placing the new issue of Lady Whistledown onto his lap. He took the steaming cup of tea and brought it to his lips. "She just went promenading with Marie, is what," Anthony grunted in disgust, walking past the family to his study where he slammed the door dramatically. 

"Why on Earth would you want to be seen with her? She is ruining our family reputation!" Benedict argued loudly, roughly putting down his paintbrush which connected with the table, inducing a bang. "I thought you two were finally warming up to each other?" Violet protested when fanning her face, recalling the young girl and her son a few days prior at Somerset house. "That's one way to put it," Eloise chortled, settling when she caught Benedict's gaze. 

"Oh please, nothing happened in the gallery," He mumbled, his ears turning red. And it was true, although nobody in his family believed him. "But we wouldn't know because you didn't have a chaperone," Daphne told Benedict as she had been doing since she found out about it. She didn't want her new royal friend to be ruined by such a scandal - although from Benedict's research that scattered his study, it seemed that she had been part of much worse in the eyes of the news. "He left to go to the washroom. We were inspecting paintings, you can ask the Cowper's, they were there!" He fought back like a child caught doing something naughty. 

"Well, she is such a lovely girl, we should invite her around for tea," Violet suggested, glaring down Benedict's possible protests. That sparked an idea in Daphne's head. "Of course, Eloise and I will start on her invitation," Daphne laughed, pulling Eloise out of the room by her glove, ignoring the girl's squeals. 

"Daphne, this is most improper," Eloise brushed the hair out of her eyes as the sisters both sat on Daphne's bed. "I'm still hunting down this Lady Whistledown," Eloise scoffed, now studying the writing tone. "Please, when has that ever stopped you," Daphne critiqued before pulling out an invitation card from her drawer. "Okay, I have a plan," Daphne smiled mischievously, shutting her door to keep out curious ears. 

►►►

"Ma'am, there is a letter for you," Bea informed Marie who thanked her gently and grabbed the letter greedily. She had been reading a boring copy of Shakespeare's Macbeth and was excited to find something else to do with her time.

"Bea, would you mind starting on my hair? I believe I recognise this as the Bridgerton seal," Marie grinned at the teal wax that held the letter shut. Bea nodded and grabbed her wooden comb, brushing Marie's dark brown locks. "Ooh, Bea I've been invited for afternoon tea!" Marie smiled, looking over at the wardrobe in excitement. "Please can I have my hair down?" Marie begged making Bea smile. "We'll see Princess Howard".

 "We'll see Princess Howard"

► Marie's hair

► Marie's dress

► Marie's dress

Marie smiled at the maid who took her coat, flowing into the foyer of the Bridgerton home, Bea trailing lightly behind her in awe of the architecture of the family's house. "Marie, my dear, what are you doing here?" Violet asked, furrowing her plucked brows. "I was invited for afternoon tea by Daphne?" Marie raised her eyebrows, unexpected for the woman in charge of the house to not know when their guests would arrive. 

"Ahh, yes we spoke about the matter, albeit, I must say I wasn't expecting them to ask you today," Violet chuckled, placing a gloved hand on Marie's forearm. "Anyway, I am about to head out. I shall call Daphne," Violet offered, but the strawberry blonde rushed down the stairs, grinning broadly when she noticed the Princess. "Marie!" Daphne shooed her mother out and dragged Marie up the stairs. Marie gave Bea a nod to go and make herself comfortable, the maid scuttering off to explore. "I just couldn't wait to speak with you again," Daphne chuckled, side-eying Eloise who stood by the door. 

"Eloise, how lovely to see you," Marie hugged the brown-haired girl and curtseyed, heading into the drawing room with the two girls. "Please, Marie," Daphne offered the girl a place on their pale patterned sofa. "Eloise please close that door, the one by the window it's freezing in here," Daphne's eyes glinted as Eloise stood up and closed the door, locking it quietly with the brass key slipped between the folds of her periwinkle dress. 

"Sisters, why did you call me from my paintings, you know I don't like tea," Benedict walked in, his eyes shimmering with amusement a foreign look to Marie. "Why is she here-" Before Benedict could finish his sentence, Daphne and Eloise were out of the room, shutting the door and locking it, running away from the door with loud giggles. 

Benedict ran gracefully to the door, pounding his fist against the wood, and shouting at his sisters. Marie ran to the other door, finally realising what the girls were up to. "Let us out Daphne," Benedict ordered but the girls only laughed. "Be nice and realise you're in love with each other and then we will," Eloise declared and the pitter-patter of their shoes established that they had left. 

Benedict sighed, turning to see a smirking Marie look at the gentlemen. "Tea?" she offered a cup with a playing smile, adjusting her dress so it was more comfortable. "You know I don't like that," Benedict spat, glaring venomously at her. "Do I?" Marie challenged, making Benedict huff like a kid. 

"You are irritating, you vex me beyond anything else," Benedict complained, pointing rudely at Marie. "You don't know the family grief you've caused me, and I do understand, I really do, that you are trying to help us. I think it would be best if you just left my family alone. Why were you even in Somerset Gallery without a chaperone?" He seethed through his teeth, getting more riled up by the second. 

"Despite the unequal laws surrounding my gender, I am allowed to look at paintings without someone breathing down my neck. Although you didn't seem to have a problem with that, did you? You were the one that approached me and we were in Somerset Gallery together. Do not make this out to be my cruel doing," Marie retorted, surprising Benedict with her snarky tone. She sipped her tea once more, turning to look out of the window. 

"Tu me revulses," Marie cursed, glancing and staring at his chocolatey eyes with fury which could've easily been mistaken for desire. And it seemed the action was reciprocated.