► la question

Marie left the side-room with a crimson face and beaming smile. She giggled to herself uncontrollably, holding the bridge of her nose. "Now what has happened to you?" Colin Bridgerton's happy voice penetrated her ears, making Marie jump. "Holy mother of God," Marie clutched where her heart was as his laughter echoed around them. "Why don't you come back to the ballroom?" Colin asked, offering her his hand. She looked at him, suspiciously before taking it gracefully. "I've never seen my brother so in love with a woman," Colin whispered into Marie's ear, making her smile widen. "Miss Howard, your dress is incredible," Violet Bridgerton walked over, stealing Marie from Colin. It seemed the Princess of France couldn't get away from the Bridgerton's at any point in the night. "You are gorgeous," Violet smiled truthfully, holding out a delicate glass of champagne which Marie sipped lightly, feeling the need to impress Violet. 'Maybe England is changing me' Marie thought to herself, curtseying to Violet who fluttered her hand as if to wave away the nonsense. "I came to speak to you about the relationship you have forming with my son," Violet nodded gently however it was not enough to calm Marie's intense heartbeat. "Mhmm," Marie said, choking slightly on her bubbly alcohol. Violet turned to watch her oldest daughter dance with the Duke of Hastings. "Well if you are going to proceed your disappearances at these public balls, there will most definitely be a scandal out of it, and so I suggest that he courts you. What do you propose to that, Marie?" Violet asked, noticing that the girl paled considerably. "Court? As- As in marry?" She stuttered out, flexing her hands as her panic rose. Violet grabbed her arm in attempt to relax the girl. "Just a thought," She added, watching as Marie's features changed.

"Excusez-Moi," Marie said, pushing her way from Violet, hiking up her glittering dress so she could walk away in a hurry. Marie's breathing became erratic, fear falling into her chest like someone was pressing into it. "Hey, Marie," Benedict grabbed her hand with grace. "Hello," Marie breathed, her chest heaving. She attempted to regain her composure, however the thoughts racing through her head were too much to handle. Benedict's thick eyebrows furrowed as he noticed her anxious state. "Marie what is wrong?" He asked with his English accent Marie loved ever so much. Benedict leaned down to make eye contact with her, hoping he would be able to read her. Her erratic movements stopped as she stared into his eyes, her breathing still deep but evening out. "I'm sorry but I must leave," She shook her head, glancing at Violet before ripping her hands from her soulmates grasp and walking as quickly as possible out of the ballroom without causing a scene. She called a carriage, taking herself back home. She ran inside hoping not to wake Bea who slept soundlessly in her maid's room. Marie removed the dress, throwing it onto the bed carelessly and changing it for her riding dress. She switched out her diamond heels for simple flat shoes, easily silent as she snuck back downstairs, tears springing in her eyes.

 She switched out her diamond heels for simple flat shoes, easily silent as she snuck back downstairs, tears springing in her eyes

► Marie's dress

She shut the door in a hurry, running down the steps and looking up into the charcoal clouds which spat out spluttering raindrops. She offered a pound coin to the carriage driver, taking his white-haired horse and fitting her foot into the stirrup. She pulled herself onto the horse, hitting it's muscled neck with the reigns causing the horse to run off into the depths of London. She rode away into the night, rain beginning to pound down on her shoulders. By the time she got to the green fields of London, the ground was pure mud and her dress was soaking wet. Marie gasped into the air, galloping through the fields as she thought. 

I love Benedict. But I swore I would never marry. I didn't swear. England is changing me. I love him. But I refuse to be confined to a marriage. I could just have an affair. But it would be a scandal. That's never stopped me before. Help. My parents would win. No they'd be happy for me. They've never been happy for me don't be silly. What do I do? I'm so confused. I'm so in love with him. Fuck. I don't want to marry. But I want to marry him. Him. Benedict. 

In a flash of downpour, the horse Marie was riding slipped on the mud, it's knee slamming into the ground. It lost it's balance, falling on its side. The crunch of Marie's body vibrated up her leg making her scream out, the pain shooting through her nerves.  The horse screamed out into the air, stumbling away from Marie as she yelled out. The horse neighed at her tragically, loudly barking out as it scurried off, galloping into the distance. Marie started shivering, the rain dribbling down her forehead as her hair couldn't  hold any more liquid. She sobbed, her body shaking in pain - emotional and physical. She pushed herself under a tree with her arms, screaming as more pain ran through her. She looked down, gagging as she saw the unnatural angle of her leg. Bone protruded from her shin, blood spilling down her leg and mixing with the water. She grit her teeth, screaming as she attempted to move away from the infectious water, dirt mixing near her leg. She looked around, tears streaming down her face as she saw that she was completely and utterly alone. However in the spur of the moment, she knew her answer to Violet's question.