► la fin

Readers, it has been many years since we last spoke. Boy, you have missed a lot. 

"Stop pulling my hair!" The whiny girl protested, cracking her neck to try and be annoying as her mother attempted to fiddle with her dark brown locks. "My goodness you seriously are a little me," Marie shook her head with a laugh, keeping her humour as she tugged at her daughters hair again. "Stop, mother!" The girl laughed, slapping Marie lightly before giving up and slumping. "Back straight, head high, Charlotte will love you," Marie advised, tying up her daughters hair tightly and turning her to the mirror. She then helped her daughter get into her white debutante ballgown. "My girl is all grown up!" Marie squeezed her daughters shoulders reassuringly. "Now what have I said-" Marie asked, interrupted by the younger who rolled her chocolatey eyes.  "Don't go off with a suitor if I don't want to. My love will come eventually, blah, blah, blah," The girl sassed making Marie tip her head back and laugh. "I just want you to be happy," She said honestly, hugging her daughter with loving strength, "I actually began my relationship with your father by hating his guts," Marie told her. "I will never get tired of that story," The girl stood up, taking in a deep breath. The two quickly downed their whiskey glasses, liquid confidence running through them. They would need it to get through the Season. "Can I hear it?" The brunette asked, looking up at her mother through her eyelashes. "Another time, people will be arriving soon," Marie said, glancing up at the time.

Marie opened the doors with the subconscious grace she'd always had, staff heads from all directions popping out to see her

Marie opened the doors with the subconscious grace she'd always had, staff heads from all directions popping out to see her. "Yasmin?" Marie called, the oldest maid of the house popped her hair around the corner. "Could you call the carriages, my dear?" Marie asked, shooting a smile Yasmin's way as the maid nodded and walked out. Marie nodded as the shy Yasmin she'd met came into her head. She shook her head with laughter as Yasmin shouted at the newer household maids. Marie's daughter walked out with lithe and grace she'd been born with, practising her curtsey in front of her mum. "Auntie Daphne!" Was what broke Marie from her daydream, her turning just in time to see Daphne running down the corridor. "Evangeline Bea Bridgerton, you are the most gorgeous woman I have ever met," Daphne yelled loudly, picking the girl up and spinning her around in the air. Evangeline squealed - the same sound Marie made- hugging Daphne ferociously. "Apart from your mother of course, isn't that right Daph," Marie butted in with a wink, Daphne nodding slyly. "Now Eva," Marie tipped her daughters head up with a finger and stared her in the eyes. Love radiated off Marie into the girl, making Evangeline feel warm and fuzzy. "Knock them dead."

"Is that my dressed up little girl?" Benedict's warm voice rang through the halls. "DAD!" Evangeline called, picking up her pristine dress and speeding over to him. Benedict was a sight even as he had aged. He wore a waistcoat and suit, a black coat in one hand whilst a wrapped up giggling child in the other. "Hey honey," He said with a sweet smile, patting her as she wrapped her arms around his waist. He transferred the baby boy to Daphne who crooned over him and picked Evangeline up. He span her then set her down, saying: "Come on and show me, give me a spin," He clapped as she span, her white dress flowing outwards. "Your mother did a beautiful job as always, didn't you Princess?" Benedict smiled, kissing Marie and holding her hand. He, as she had picked up on in the many years they'd been married, fiddled with her luxurious wedding ring. Marie looked at him with similar fiery heat as she had 22 years before, then breaking out into a picturesque smile. "I've handed Gabriel the reigns," Marie referenced the monarchies right -hand minister, Benedict nodding understandably. "Some post-renaissance disturbance but I refuse to let politics get in the way of my daughter," Marie said. She closed her eyes with a soft smile, knowing that she had just defied the one thing she despised her  parents for more than anything.