« Seventeen »

"Guys, I can't believe we've successfully completed our first working week!" I shouted, holding my drink up in the air

"Guys, I can't believe we've successfully completed our first working week!" I shouted, holding my drink up in the air. Now, this felt like something that we should go out to celebrate.

The restaurant around us was buzzing. Staton sat next to me, his hand on my thigh rubbing tiny little circles with his finger tips. Waiters and Waitresses rushed around from table to table, making sure everyone had what they needed. Chatter filled the background, sounding like a lull of voices pulled a warm blanket over the place.

It felt good to be doing something normal. To live a life that others would see as normal as well. I felt for just a moment that my mother would be proud of me if she could see how well we were doing. That was, if she hadn't hated me my entire life.

My dad though, on the other hand, would have been proud of me. The typical Cinderella story danced through my life. The wicked mother, the loving father that passed away. I was never able to watch that movie growing up because I felt so bad for the main character. If only I had known that I would later become the main character.

"It sure was a long one." Julia slumps her shoulders as if the tiredness was finally setting in. I felt the same, my body filled with aches and bruises from moving boxes all day. Staton would come home from the tire shop absolutely exhausted, collapsing on the bed the second he was finished with dinner.

"But doesn't it feel so good to be earning our own money?" Staton adds, wiggling his shoulder. We were all so lucky to have the same day off. None of us had planned it that way but we all took the chance to sleep in, spend the morning catching up on chores that had been missed throughout the week, even though Aria and Breygan still didn't have a job.

I wondered what they did all day. There was no way they weren't bored just sitting there with the two of them. Then it hit me and a sudden bile grew in my throat. They were alone all day, I knew exactly what they were doing.

"It actually does feel really good." I smiled, looking at the handsome man sitting next to me.

"We get it!" Breygan rolled his eyes. Aria sat next to him, holding his hand under the table as if no one would have noticed.

"Sorry?" Julia questions, turning to meet eyes with the blonde haired boy.

"We fucking get it! You guys are kicking ass, doing things, making money. Can you stop throwing it in our faces?" He threw his hands in the air, his voice raising more than any of us would have liked.

"Hey man, you need to chill out." Staton's voice was stern. He looked at Breygan as if he was a child about to get a spanking if he didn't adjust his attitude.

"Whatever," Breygan downed his drink, waving the glass in the air for the waitress to grab him another. Soon a woman came rushing by. "Another please."

"Haven't you had enough?" Aria mumbles. Her eyes looked down at the floor, hiding her face behind her hair. Why was she acting so shy? Was she hiding something?