« Eight »

The fear of Julia falling to the ground had been too much for me to handle

The fear of Julia falling to the ground had been too much for me to handle. My heart had nearly stopped as I lunged to try and catch her. What had those evil men given her?

I wasn't quick enough though, so when Julia hit the ground I winced, rushing to pick her up. I didn't want to allow myself to go too deep into the alley, especially with the creeps here.

But they were gone.

They had run at the first sign of me calling the cops, rushing for whatever hiding hole they had.

"911 how may we help you?" I heard the operator on the phone. I quickly picked it up, feeling the sweat forming on my forehead. We couldn't allow the police to know where we were and who we were.

"I'm so sorry ma'am it was a butt dial." I quickly hung up, not wanting to give out any more information.

I grabbed Julia's shoulders, pulling her towards me as I try to use my entire body to lift her up. But she was dead weight, as limp as she could be. I shook my head sitting down on the ground as I tried to figure out what I was going to do.

Pulling out my phone again I tried to call Staton. Hopefully he would hear it in that awful night club. He must have thought because he picked up on the second ring.

"Maple are you okay?" I could hear the fear in his voice over the line. It echoed and cracked as If he was on the verge of tears. My heart shook at the sound. I nodded my head allowing the tears to crash down my face.

"Yes, yes, but Julia has been drugged and we need to get her out of here. Please, we are in the alley by the parking garage!" I shouted into the phone, allowing all of the emotions to erupt over my body.

We were horrible friends.

Breygan and Aria were horrible friends. How could they have allowed this to happen to her?

I could hear footsteps coming down the sidewalk. People were walking past and yet no one ever cared to stop to help. They left their eyes either on their peers or on the sidewalk beneath them, ignoring all that was wrong in the world.

How could people be like this?

Here were two girls, one passed out in the alley and one sobbing as if her entire life was over, and yet no one seemed to notice or care.

"Maple!" I heard the most familiar thing in my life shout my name from around the corner. His feet thudding against the ground as he sprints. It didn't take him long to find us, his arms wrapping around me as if there wasn't a single other thing he could do with them.

"Oh shit, I'm so glad you are okay," The words fell from his lips as he kissed me, pulling me closer to him. I pull away though, pointing towards Julia.

"What do we do?" I could feel my throat closing off.

Aria gasps, letting it escape from her lips as she bolts around the corner. She collapses on the ground holding her face in her hands as she rocks back and forth. Breygan leans awkwardly against the wall, watching as the rest of his friends pick up his mess for him.