« Eleven »

The echoes of laughter filled the air as the rides continued to whiz past us

The echoes of laughter filled the air as the rides continued to whiz past us. There were kids bouncing around as they tried to contain their energy from their cotton candy highs. Staton and I were holding hands as we walked through the crowds, as were Breygan and Aria, leaving poor Julia all on her own. She didn't seem to care as she looked around, dancing to all the music. Her eyes followed every roller coaster that we passed.

"This was such a good idea," I heard Aria whisper to Breygan, her voice lingering in the air as he turns and looks at her, kissing her gently. I look at Staton, pointing to our friends that have been so hot and cold throughout this whole journey. Things felt like they were finally starting to work out. Everything was starting to look up for once.

We walked past all the booths, looking at the games we could play, watching the rides as they continued to spin round and round. The thought of riding anything that was put up in less than three days made me nervous. I wasn't sure how anyone could feel safe on these rides.

We stopped at a game where you had to shoot water into the mouth of a clown, causing me to turn and give a look to Staton.

"Oh are these the evil clowns that we are going to have to kill?" He teases, taking a seat next to me as he hands the guy behind the counter enough cash for the both of us to play a game. I shook my head, rolling my eyes at his joke.

"You think you are so funny but I was serious." I slapped his arm. I looked at the game, watching the clown intently trying to remember back to when my dad would take me to carnivals. It was the one time I thought my parents actually liked me, well at least one of them. My mother would have never been caught dead somewhere like this.

A large countdown started on the side of the wall causing me to jump in my seat before I grabbed the trigger shooting a stream of water at the clown's mouth, trying to be the first one to fill him up. Aria and Julia were next to me, we were all playing the game. I couldn't focus on how they were doing.

The clown jumps back and forth moving in an awkward pattern making it harder to keep the water directly in its mouth. My hand was starting to ache as I held the handle way too tight.

A loud buzzer goes off pulling me out of my thoughts. Julia jumps up in the air as soon as she realizes she is the one that won. I shook my head letting out a sigh.

"You'll get them next time." The guy says from behind the counter as he directs her to pick out a prize.

"That's okay, I didn't want to carry around a dumb stuffed animal for the rest of the night anyways." I tried to play it off as if I wasn't a little upset.

After playing the game a few more times and grabbing our prizes we left the games and headed towards the food stands. My stomach lets out a large growl letting me know that it was time to eat or deal with the consequences.

"What do you guys want to eat?" I looked around, trying to pick a place that everyone would like. We were kind of a group of picky eaters so it was sometimes hard to pick something everyone would be happy with. I wasn't the biggest fan of carnival food, so I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little discouraged while looking around at my options.