Love And War I

Greece

Marcaeus's POV

"My king, please, hear me out." Said a servant as he approached my father. He looked cleaner than the others; he was no ordinary servant. His physique, hair, eyes, and clothes were all different from the others. He had a different aura. Even his name was rather different. Laeo. Just... Laeo.

"What is it?" My father, King Ethonos, answered gruffly. He was glaring down at Laeo, but he wasn't angry, not even annoyed. He never was when it came to Laeo. I smiled inwardly.

"My king, it seems that there is a traitor amongst our people." Laeo responded, looking truly sad. I stiffened. A traitor? I looked to my father who was staring intently at Laeo. His eyes slowly narrowed.

"And what makes you say this?" He questioned dangerously. The strange male before us stayed calm and composed.

"Someone has leaked information having to do with Marcaeus's coronation." Laeo explained, "It seems that an enemy state is planning to attack during that time, my king." My father looked truly surprised by that answer.

"Where, pray, do tell, do you get your information?" My father asked rather accusingly. Laeo narrowed his eyes ever so slightly.

"The traitor himself." He admitted, "the imbecile thought it a good idea to tell me, of all people, what he's done and what he plans to do." Laeo looked at me. His eyes were like emeralds, emeralds so beautiful that only the gods would be found with them, or like jade, dragon jade; a Jade said to be so magnificent that it is guarded and only found in a dragon's den. I felt my heart stop and my breath hitch as he caught my eyes. His held such intensity, such passion, and such...worry. He looked back to my father with his jade eyes. "He and the enemy plan to kill Marcaeus."

My father stood from his throne abruptly. The look on his face was completely outraged. I couldn't do anything, except sit in shock. Laeo looked at me once more. My grey eyes watched him as he did the same to me. His eyes held another intensity; one of an emotion I could not decipher.

"What is the meaning of this?!" My father yelled, "Who is this traitor?!"

"I do not know a specific name, nor do I know his face, however, I do know that he is a worker in the home of the king before me." He then kneeled and bowed his head. "My king, before you, I vow. I vow to protect the prince, even at the cost of my life." My breath hitched once again. What in the name of Zeus is he doing? For the first time in my life, I heard my father sigh.

"I know, Laeo." My father said, "From the day we took you in, you have always said this. You will no longer be working in secret. From now on, you will be Marcaeus's personal guard."

"Yes, my king."

"My son, please, heed this warning." My father said to me, though he did not look in my direction or at me.

"I know, father." And with that, I walked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was seated in my room, in front of my mirror, not even twenty minutes after the nerve wracking meeting, when a knock resounded from my door. I sighed before calling, "Who is it?"

"It is me, Laeo , Prince Marcaeus." He responded softly.

"Come in." My door opened slowly, revealing the man from the meeting. His muscular frame was actually larger than mine. I will admit, I am rather feminine. My father, at times, has feminine clothing brought to me and he refuses to let me cut my hair; only adding to my already woman-like appearance. But, there was more to the contrast than muscle and frame; where my hair is so black it looked like night, Leao's hair was so blonde that it looked white. My hair reached the small of my back, while his was to the nape of his neck. His skin was ever so slightly tanned, smooth, and a faint peach, while mine was pale like ivory.