FLESH (Preview)

The book is now up. This is from chapter one, and I will be taking this preview down in a week.

THE PREY

Luka

"Ugh, god! It's so hot today! It's supposed to be fucking winter!" The young man complained as he lifted yet another crate off the truck and moved it into the building behind him. His auburn hair glinted in the sunlight making it look a blood red, and his rather pale pallor seemed to glow. The glass bottles inside the crate clinked as he walked quickly, but cautiously, to the large cool room where the alcohol was stored, and he grunted as he pushed open the door.

"Luka, shut your cake hole and finish bringing in that booze! We ain't got all day!" His boss called out to him from his position at the bar in the front of the club. Luka grumbled unintelligibly under his breath for a moment before calling back a quick, "Of course, sir!"

"Where the hell are Monty and Ilo?" Luka said to himself, a slight growl in his voice showing just how annoyed he was becoming. "Fuck, this is not part of my job description!"

Taking the final crate from the truck and passing it to his boss, whom had just exited the building once more, before jumping down from the truck. He had been too short to reach and ended up having to climb into the back to get the last few. Sighing, he snatched off his bandanna, using it to wipe the sweat from his face, and made his way into the much cooler building.

"Hey, hey! What's up, Boss man?" Luka's eye twitched.

"You're late, Monty." Their boss deadpanned. This brought a small smile to Luka's face, but he hid it quickly, then scowled as his annoyance came back threefold.

"Come on, now, boss, don't be like that. You know I have to get a ride from someone else. My car broke down." Monty whined as he took off his shades and looked around the club. When his eyes came upon Luka, he grinned, then leered. Luka grimaced and scoffed in disgust. "Hey, Luka-Sirus."

"Don't call me that! You had no right going through my file; hell, you're lucky you still have your fucking job." Luka spat. It was true. Monty, whose full name was Montgomery Wigg, had broken into the files that their boss kept on his employs with all of their personal and emergency information. When it was found out, Monty was not only written up, but was also investigated and almost fired. Some of the other employees had been extremely upset as the files contained information that, in the wrong hands, could ruin a person's life - i.e. social security numbers, birth dates, etc. It still irked Luka that Monty managed to keep his job.

"Aw, is little Luka-Sirus getting angry?" Monty cooed.

"Shut up, Wigg. Where is Ilo?" Their boss asked.

"I don't know, Mr. Bentley. I haven't heard anything from, nor have I seen him." Monty said in a much more serious tone. Luka actually felt a bit worried. Ilo was rarely ever late, and he almost never missed work. The only time he missed work, that Luka could recall since he started working there, was the time Ilo got the flu and didn't want to risk giving it to anyone else. Ilo was the only friend that Luka had in the club. He liked Mr. Bentley well enough, but he was more like a mentor that one had but could not stand. Monty was just the creep that showed up at his house at two in the morning and leered at him at work; harmless, but still one to watch.

"Luka!"

"Yes, sir?"

"Call Ilo's cellphone. If you don't get an answer, I want you to go to his house. Go." He instructed sternly. Luka nodded and headed toward the bar to grab his phone from under the counter with a, "Yes, sir," as he passed his boss. Dialing Ilo's number as he went, Luka walked toward the much quieter backroom. It was much like a locker room mixed with a break room. He sat down on one of the benches and put his phone to his ear once he was sure the call was going through.

It rang, and rang, and rang.

"You've successfully dialed Ilo, but I can't come to the phone. Leave a message."

Luka hung up and redialed. He repeated this ten times, and each time he got voicemail. 'Maybe he forgot to charge it. No, then it wouldn't ring at all.' Luka thought to himself, 'He even wakes up just to answer his phone.' It was not like his friend at all to not answer his phone; unless he was working, he always answered his phone.. Luka jumped up from the bench, grabbed his wallet and keys, and ran to the main floor.

"Mr. Bentley, I'm going to head to Ilo's place. He's not answering." Luka called out to his boss as he ran for the door.

"Be careful, you dolt!" He heard his boss reply just before the door closed behind him. He walked quickly to his car, jumped in, and sped out the lot.

'Please be okay.' Luka repeated like a mantra in his head as he drove the familiar route to his coworker's home. As he pulled into the driveway next to his friend's car, he was confused. The car looked fine, 'But maybe it broke down,' he wondered as he walked up the path to the light blue house. The door was closed, as were all the curtains. 'Maybe he started his sleeping pills again. No, he would be awake by now. It's four in the afternoon.'

He knocked on the door. No answer. He knocked again. Still, no answer. He rang the door bell, repeatedly. No answer. Tried the doorknob. Good, it was locked.

"What the fuck is going on? Is he not home? He could have ubered somewhere." He wondered aloud, but quietly, to himself as he walked around to the backyard. He stopped for a moment in his walking and thought about what he just said and then snorted. "Ilo? Uber? Yeah, right."

He found found the backdoor and knocked. No answer. He tried the doorknob, but it was locked. That was great, but where the fuck was his friend? He sighed in worry and exasperation before turning and walking toward the window by where he knew the bedroom to be.

It was open.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is an introduction into who Luka is and pretty much just some action and background. Of course, there is more to it, but you have to read the book. This will all become more clear and you will understand the relevance once you read the book, I promise. 

I hope you enjoy and are looking forward to the book!

Vote&Comment!

Love you! <3

- Angel Out! (> w O)