Chapter one: strangers

━━━━

━━━━

My voice broke over the phone as the rain beat against the windowpane.

"It's pretty nice here. Lots of nature, trees, but the weather is a bit unpredictable, but it's nothing I can't handle," I explained to my mother.

My mother chuckled over the phone. "Ah hija, that's good to hear. Esmeralda. Mi hija estoy muy orgullosa." Mom said.

"Ah, gracías Mamí" I said as I sat on the floor as I unpacked boxes in the living room labeled 'Kitchen' on it.

I had moved from my town of Miami to Sioux Falls. It was a bit unconventional considering the temperature differences between the two cities. But I thought it would be a great way to start fresh in a new town. Sure I was leaving behind my old friends and family, but I would stay in touch with them. It was rough getting to where I am now; starting a new life meant finding a roof over my head and finding a stable job to put food on the table.

But I am a strong independent woman with a degree in Journalism and Hispanic solid roots. I moved to Sioux Falls roughly a week ago, but I still managed to find a job. The pay rate is pretty good, and the work hours are flexible.

"Okay muñeca, I'll let you get settled in, and I'll call you tomorrow." Mom said. I smiled at the nickname muñeca as I remember it was the nickname she always called me growing up as a child.

"Okay, mamí tell Daddy I love him and I'll visit you guys as soon as possible," I said.

"I will, muñeca, bye," Mom said as she hung up the phone.

I placed my phone down on the counter; I put away my last things, then walked into my bedroom. The bedroom is a luxurious-sized, spacious bedroom with matching metal and plastic furniture. The floor was dark oak wood, and the walls were painted with a soft blush rose. A large Ivory crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling; large windows circled the apartment. The room appears to be done in light pastel colors, and overall has a fairytale-like look to it.

Among the first things one notices walking in is a well-stocked bookshelf, a canopy bed, and the sweet sugary scent of magnolia and lilies.

I was born and raised in Miami with my Hispanic-Korean heritage. My mother who's of Hispanic heritage, while my Father who's of Korean Heritage. I have been told that I look like my mother, from my dark chestnut brown hair to my soft honey brown eyes. The one thing I inherited from my Father is his round face, his sharp nose, and tiny freckles sprinkled around my nose and cheeks.

My mother's family grew up in the slums of Peru; to say my mother had it rough is an understatement. She and her six siblings all had to share one bathroom; her sisters and herself shared a bedroom, and her brothers shared a bedroom. My grandmother was a hardworking woman from a strict Roman Catholic family. However, my parents' childhood was somewhat different from each other.

While my dad didn't grow up in poverty, he grew up in the rural part of Gwanju, South Korea. Both of his parents were financially stable and made pretty decent money. Of course, they weren't wealthy, but they kept my dad and his sister pretty happy.

Because of my parents' hard work, they were available to provide for my siblings and me.

My Sister Emilia is roughly a few years older than I am. Since childhood, she and I have always been the best of friends; she would always give me great advice about makeup and boys. Emilia is the spitting image of my Father, from her porcelain white skin to the beautiful mole on her left cheek to her gorgeous model figure.

I knew my sister was bound to be more successful than I was. I was in High School when she left us to pursue a modeling career in California. She became successful, and My Brother, Santiago, and I couldn't be more proud.

My Brother, Santigo, and I look more like our mother than our Father. However, Santiago looks more like our grandfather, who passed away a few years ago. But seeing photos of our grandfather as a young adult, Santiago looks like his twin. Even though it was a relatively long trip from my old home, I still managed to make it to Sioux Falls all on my own.

----

As I flung open the freezer door of the frozen section. A sudden shiver down my spine; I grabbed two bags of frozen blueberries, and tossed them into my cart.

After my quick trip to the grocery, I put away the groceries and decided to eat out instead of cooking as I was exhausted from unpacking all day. So, I pulled out my phone from my back pocket, went to the door dash app, and ordered some Chinese Takeout.

Immediately after ordering my food, I plopped onto my couch, switched on the TV, and began channel surfing.

Half an hour or two passed, and there was a knock on my door. I got up from the couch and walked toward the door. I opened the door and saw my order had finally arrived. I picked it up off the ground, carried it inside, and placed it on the counter.

After removing the contents from the bag, I walked back to the couch and sat down to eat my dinner.

After a few minutes, there was another knock on my door. I got up off the couch and walked to the door. I opened the door, but I didn't see anyone. I looked down and noticed a package in front of my door; I quipped an eyebrow as I picked up the package. I didn't remember ordering a package since I have only been here for a week. I looked at the package and noticed the address on it.

"204? But my number is 202; the apartment next door looks like they delivered the package to the wrong address."

I slipped my shoes on, then walked out of my apartment to the apartment next door. I walked up to the door, then knocked on the door.

First Knock, No Response.

Second Knock, Still no response.

Suddenly, she heard the doorknob twist and then open as she was about to knock again.

_____________________________________

*muñeca means doll

*Mi hija estoy muy orgullosa means My Daughter I'm very proud