Bella's Interlude

My mother wasn't here.

She didn't get my message, and she was still in Florida. She hadn't met James, had not looked into his terrifying red eyes.

My mother was safe. Charlie was safe. And it would stay that way.

James taunted me from across the room. The predictability of humans seemed to amuse him. I didn't hear him. I was still glad that my family was safe.

But he kept talking and gloating. This really was nothing more than a game to him. All of this was happening, everyone risking their lives, me hurting Charlie, all because he wanted the chase. It seemed unfair.

I'd never been afraid to die before.

Well, that's not entirely right. I'd never really thought about it much, it was a part of life. I always knew I'd die someday, like I knew the sun would come up the next morning. It was there, in the back of my mind, but I never cared about it. I'd live my life and I'd die. That was it. I never thought anyone would care much, René had her new life and Charlie had his job. I would leave nothing behind, and I was fine with that.

And then I moved to Forks.

I was doing the right thing, I knew I was. It was me in exchange for everyone else, everyone I cared about.

I should feel relief, maybe even calmness. But I felt angry.

It wasn't fair. I am dying because James is bored.

I thought back to the last few months. I thought about Edward, and the calm expression he always wears when he plays the piano, the way his shoulders relax and it's like he's the only person in the world.

I thought about Alice, how excited she is about everything. The way she was so willing to welcome me into her family. I'd never had a sister, but I knew that if I'd been given the time, Alice would fill the role perfectly. Alice and her protests against my wardrobe.

I thought about Elle, and how she always helped me. How she believed me after the accident, and then after I discovered the truth. I thought about how easy it was to talk to her.

How easy it was to be with all of them.

These people were my friends, my family. For the first time in my life I didn't feel like an outsider. I didn't feel alone. And now, after having that for such a short time, I was going to die.

I grit my teeth. If I was going to die I wasn't going to make this easy for him. He wanted a game, so I'll give him one.

I looked around the ballet studio. There wasn't much I could

use. The room was mostly empty, aside from the television behind me, polished wooden floors and long curtains covering all the windows. All I had on me was my phone, and the pepper spray Charlie had bought.

A vampire's only weakness is fire. I felt for the pepper spray in my pocket, and prayed to whoever was listening that it was the kind with Butane in it.

He continued to talk and I slowly got the canister out of my pocket.

"I hope you don't mind me leaving a little message for your boyfriend, Edward, was it?" He asked mockingly as he took out a small digital camera.

I took a careful step back.

"I almost wasn't sure I'd succeed," he prepared the camera. "You see, this isn't the first time I've hunted a human who was protected by vampires"

Another step back.

"I think it was around the 1920's, and this old vampire was so fond of my prey that he turned her before I could get to her" He pointed the camera at me "The poor thing didn't even notice, the psych ward she was in had fried her brain long ago. Her little gift, her visions would have had her burned at the stake a hundred years earlier, but she was just left to rot in a cell."

"Alice" I couldn't hide my shock.

"Yes, imagine my surprise when I saw her in the field" his smile widened, showing off large fangs that hadn't been there before. His face seemed different, contorted, his mouth bigger than it should be with long sharp teeth and small red eyes that almost glowed in the dark room. "I suppose it's a fair trade, they get her, I get you." his voice no longer held the melodic tone all vampires seemed to have. It became low and gravely.

I unclasped my pepper spray. I stood next to the television.

He was walking slowly towards me, he did seem like the type to play with his food. My heart was in my throat, but it was now or never. I pushed the television on to the floor, the loud crash resonated across the room, and for a moment James just laughed. A horrible grave sound, like something an animal would make instead of a person.

I quickly sprayed the broken lens of the thing, and prayed that it worked. And for a moment nothing happened, and James continued to walk closer, amusement on his horrifying features.

And then, when he was five feet from me, the television let out a crackling noise, and exploded. I dropped to the floor, covering my head, and I heard a hiss from James.

"You stupid human!" he screeched as fire overtook his arm. It seems like vampires really are flammable.

The television was still on fire, I scrambled to stand up, taking hold of one of the curtains, tearing it from the hinges. I rolled it up and held it over the fire, James tore off his arm in an attempt to stop it from spreading.

"I was going to kill you quickly" His voice no longer resembled any sort of sound a human could make, "But now I think I'll have my fun with you."

He appeared in front of me, and I shoved the flaming curtain into his face. He let out another scream and I ran past him towards the door.

I didn't make it far before I felt a hand crush my forearm and toss me back. I flew back, hitting the back wall with my side and shattering the mirror. Pieces of it rained over me, and through them I saw James coming towards me, his face burned and hideous.

I tried to get up, but pain shot up my leg. Broken probably, or maybe impaled by glass, I wasn't certain, too much was happening at once. I crawled back, my back against the wall, in a weak attempt to get away from him. He was on me again, lifting me up painfully and pinning me against the wall harshly.

"I hope your little Edward comes to avenge you," he no longer sounded amused. "Make this whole thing worth it."

I spit in his face "Fuck you"

He growled, his grip tightening. But before he could do anything else a fist landed on his face.

I fell to the ground, pain shooting up my leg, taking me out of it for a moment. I felt cold hands cup my face gently, I flinched back.

"Bella, Bella, it's me" A soft voice, familiar.

"Edward?" I looked up at him, something was different about him. Something that looked like James. His teeth were sharp and his eyes were wild, but it was him.

"Bella I-" He was pulled away from me suddenly, thrown across the room. James' terrifying figure leaned over me once again.

"Edward!" I screamed, tears streaming down my face. James gripped my arm once again. He lifted me up harshly, raising my arm near his mouth. I fruitlessly tried to pull away.

"Glad you could finally join us!" His voice was cruel. "Though I must admit, your little pet has made this more eventful than I imagined."

"Leave her alone!" Edward screamed, his face contorting further.

James laughed, throwing his head back and gripping my arm tighter. Then he looked at Edward and smiled wickedly again.

Before I realized what was happening, I felt his teeth tearing into my arm.

The last thing I remember was a scream, but I don't know if it was mine or Edward's.