Close Encounter

It was late when Valerie decided to turn off the television and head to bed. She had barely eaten dinner and was far too paranoid to lay down.

You know what's worse than the Men in Black interrogating you when you just turn eighteen?

The Men in Black still following you six years later.

She really shouldn't be surprised. The government did her a huge favor by basically wiping Brightburn off every official map and remaking her identity.

At least she got to keep her name.

In exchange for being under their tattle tale contract. One she never even formally signed.

Valerie took a deep breath and leaned back in her sofa. Every time she closed her eye Brandon's face, brown eyes blazing red, glared back at her.

Valerie didn't understand why...but something was coming.

RIIIIIIING RIIIING!!

Valerie practically jumped out of her seat when her phone emitted it's high pitched alert. She grabbed it but immediately rolled her eyes at the name lighting up in bold on the screen,

"Giraud?" She smiled fondly rolling her eyes in amusement,

"I absolutely do not mean to be a bother..." Giraud immediately said into the receiver,

"But you need me to come to the gallery...right?" Valerie giggled gently.

"The Picasso and Andy Warhol pieces have just arrived on a private plane, together, and the owners are being absolutely dreadful! We need to pick them up in the van right now!" Giraud complained.

Valerie could imagine his right arm flinging in line with his exaggerated words. The same way he excitedly talks on the phone to any high profile artist who was giving him a hard time.

"Okay...okay calm down." Valerie chuckled, "I'm on my way to the gallery okay?"

~*~

The amplified sounds bombarding Brandon's ears were initially confusing. A few miles Behind him was an airport while far ahead was the endless desert. Police sirens filled his ears as cars sped towards his small ship.

It was dark out in the desert. The moon merely brightened the sand and his armor. For a moment he savored the loneliness. The scent of an air that in the morning would become deadly with unbearable heat.

You're back
You're back
They. Are. Coming.
They will try to stop you.
Kill. Them. All

Brandon's instinct raged. There was no flight.

Only fight.

And who was he to deny himself the satisfaction of destroying any human that dare challenge his superiority?

Who was he to deny these humans the challenge?

The cars were upon him now, screeching to a halt while kicking up dust, sand and rock as the wheels lost traction.

Brandon adjusted his bio suit and pressed the side of his neck to allow his helmet to encase his features, sealing his identity.