Day 3: Shiver

When Cross met Dream, he never expected him to have such a colorful family. He hadn't realized what it was like to be surrounded by caring people, nor had he appreciated the quiet when he only knew one Killer. For apparently there were six others, all with a different soul trait. He also learned from Balance that the Shiver was actually quite a bit larger than it appeared. Apparently there were a few other shivermates, but they lived spread across the sea.

"Why are they separated?" Cross had asked. He still remembers Balance's sad look when they seemed to be staring into the void. The goldfish wore a lonely look of sorrow, as if there was something they was sorely missing.

"They've lost something important, Cross, and they don't know if it'll ever come back. They mourn, each in their own way. One hides to avoid facing the truth. The other denies it every day. Another eagerly awaits a sign while searching in vain. Another forgets it over and over again just to remember it over and over again. And the last one chases after the affection of others to make up the missing part. They keep their distance from each other, neither of them wants to risk another war.”

"Have you lost someone too?" Cross hadn't been able to resist asking this question. Not with the beautiful Mer in front of him looking as if they would be crushed by the weight of a thousand years. He really didn't like this expression, it didn't go with the otherwise lively Mer.

"I have." Balance nodded slightly and looked gently at Cross. "I know they're long gone, out of my reach. I still miss them every day. But… sometimes one of them visits me when the loneliness gets too big. Who knows, maybe someday I'll introduce you to him"

Cross hadn't inquired further after that. But he thought he now had a slightly better understanding of why Nightmare and Dream sometimes gazed longingly after that eel and squid mer before disappearing back into the trench themselves. He wants to see them happy, all of his shivermates. And if that means venturing into unknown territory so he can bring Nightmare and Dreams shivermates back home, then he'll do it.

After all, he would do anything for his family.