Day 4: Net

Every mer and selkie learns early on to stay away from nets. They're big traps that will take you away from your family and you'll never be seen again. Accordingly, everyone keeps their distance from them when they see them approaching.

Well, almost everyone.

A young ringed seal pup laid on a fishing boat in a net in which a few fish had been caught. The net almost disappeared in the pup's dark fur and made the almost white spots shine. With a fish in its mouth and bright blue eyes, it looked up at the teenager in front of it, who just looked down at the little selkie in disbelief.

"I really hope for you that this wasn't Kelp's whole catch of today's fish, because it's empty, Remmy." Even as he spoke, Kris pulled the other selkie out of the net and gave it a gentle hug. And while he could well overhear the protesting noises, he let Remmy the fish. "You'll eventually eat our hair off if your stomach stays a black hole, you little glutton."

"Did you find him?" Chara asked, coming up the boat after scanning the beach for the little Selkie.

"I did." Kris turned to his human sibling and nodded at the empty net. “But I think Kelp has to go out again if we still want fresh fish for dinner tonight. Remmy's bottomless stomach has struck again."

Chara scratched Remmy's chin, which the little Selkie really enjoyed. "Nothing is safe from you, little wolverine." But then Chara looked up at the larger selkie. "Maybe you can just catch some? Kelp looked exhausted when he got home. He doesn't necessarily have to go out to sea again."

"Fine. Just make sure to keep Remmy busy. Otherwise he'll run off again and steal the food from who knows who.” Kris looked at Chara warningly as he gave Remmy to the younger human. "I'll be back in an hour."

"Yeah yeah, don't worry Kris. I'm not a little kid anymore, I can very well babysit our little brother for a while.” Brushing Kris off, Chara waited until the leopard seal was out of sight before twirling at the selkie in their arms with a mischievous grin. "Want to play a trick on the others?"

Remmy's excited scream along with the excited shaking of Chara's arm was answer enough.