Chapter 06: Behind the Shadow

Chapter 06

Behind the Shadow

The moment he walked in the house, Jesse was greeted by the darkness that surrounded the living room. The pitter-patter of rain outside the window was falling rapidly.

He turned on the light switched and it lightened the living room. Jesse walked upstairs to check Matt and Nicole. As he walked upstairs, he noticed Nicole's door was wide open. It was odd since everyone left their rooms closed.

Then he heard a whimper.

He glared at the door for a second and just washed it away from his thoughts. His mind was probably playing tricks again.

He was about to get in his room when he heard another whimper.

This time, he gave a second glance at Nicole's room and this time, he went in. Jesse's eyes traveled around the room. Something caught his attention. The bed sheet was shaking then, much to his surprise, something was moving.

He navigated toward the bed. Jesse clutched the bed sheet then pulled it off. It wasn't expected to see his little sister, her body was trembling.

Nicole let out a scream as she covered her eyes, assuming that it could be someone else. Her eyes were cascading on her cheeks. When it came to her senses that it was only her brother, she just sat up and stared at him.

He ran toward her and gave her an embrace. He hushed her to stop herself from crying. She tightened her embrace.

After comforting her, he asked the thing that came into his mind. “What happened?"

Nicole tilted her head to his chest to rest on. “Someone broke in when you were gone. I was scared that it could be a burger so I decided to hide here."

“Burglar," he corrected with a warming smile. “The living room isn't that messy when I got in here. I guess you just imagine things."

Nicole shook her head while looking up at him. “I swear I wasn't. Someone really broke in and I even saw his shadow passed by the doorway."

Then she closed her eyes and embraced him tighter. Jesse turned his eyes on the doorway then shifted his gaze back to Nicole.

“Where's Matt?" he questioned her. Matt shouldn't left the house when he wasn't around. It was a bad idea that Jesse left the house when he expected that Matt will go out. That thought made him guilty.

“He left and I don't know where he is," she responded.

He slid his hand on Nicole's hair, it tickled him a little. “I'm sorry," he murmured. “I'm sorry I left you two. I know that Matt would leave. Don't worry, I'll tell him it's wrong to leave you here."

George Coleman wasn't around due to the fact that Mercedes filed an annulment to their marriage. After that, their mom didn't showed up. George doesn't know the reason why but Jesse can tell that it hurt him. He loved Mercedes so much and she felt the same way. He doesn't know the reason why Mercedes did that.

Nicole doesn't know about the divorce yet but Jesse was dying to tell her about his mom's whereabouts.

Jesse wiped her tears away. Nicole loosed out of his embrace then she grinned at him. A grin that screamed something. “I will come with you? Really?" he nodded. “Yehey! You'll buy me ice cream and marshmallows and chocolates and—"

“Okay, okay, I'll promised. You will come with me next time," he smiled at her. He was glad that her fears a few minutes ago eased. He stood up and added, “I'll be right back."