Chapter 18

Ethan sat at the kitchen table, trying to wake up. This was earlier than he'd ever been up before. Mom set a plate of pancakes and bacon in front of him, then a glass of orange juice. It was the last of the juice, and she placed the pitcher on the counter while she went to the freezer for another can of concentrate.

"Eat up," she said as she opened the can and started forcing the concentrate into the pitcher. "Don't want to keep your dad waiting."

Ethan shook his head to make himself more alert. "No, Ma'am," he said. He drank his juice, hoping it would help his weariness, and then set to eating.

His dad had already eaten. Coming in from the garage door, he yawned and stretched. "Got the boat hitched to the truck," he said. "And the gear loaded. Should be going soon."

Ethan nodded and hurried to finish his plate. "Almost done," he said around a mouthful of food.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," his mom said. To his dad, she said, "I don't see why you have to go so early. It isn't even four in the morning."

"Fish bite best at dawn, honey. And if we are going to be on the lake at dawn, we need to get going now."

"I'm ready," Ethan said as he stood.

"Good boy," his dad said.

"Coffee?" Mom handed him a long, green canister, his thermos. He leaned in and kissed her. "You and the girls have a good morning." She smiled.

"Have a good morning," Ethan added. He would have left it at that, but she insisted on pulling him over and kissing his cheek, like he was a little baby. "Mom," he protested.

His dad just laughed. "You'll never be too old for your mom to love you, son," he said and ruffled Ethan's hair.

It was cool outside, but not cold. It was still dark, and once, Ethan saw a raccoon in Dad's headlights, but other than that, even the animals still slept.

But fishermen didn't. As they pulled into the landing out at Saylorville Reservoir, there were already a half dozen trucks, all boasting empty trailers. Dad turned the truck in a wide circle and slowly backed down the landing until his rear tires just touched the water's edge.

Ethan climbed out and looked across the dark lake, his excitement rising.

"Get your life jacket," his dad ordered.

"I know how to swim."

"Doesn't matter, get it."

Ethan did as he was told.

"Climb in," his dad ordered next.

A grin on his face, Ethan scrambled up into the boat as his dad let the winch out and lowered it into the water. When the boat was off the trailer, his dad used the rope to pull it to the shore. Then he climbed in.

Behind him, another truck had pulled into the landing and was waiting its turn.

"You're fourteen now," Dad said as he went to the back of the boat. "Old enough, I guess." He tugged a couple of times on the motor's starter rope. The motor roared to life. "Take her around to the dock while I park the truck."

Ethan nodded. He sat in the back, taking the driver's seat. He reversed the engine and pulled out. He took the boat in a wide circle, imagining he was setting sail on a long voyage across the South Seas, to the island where his dad had been.

His dad had parked the truck by the time Ethan was gliding the boat into the dock. "Good job," his dad said as he climbed in. He gestured with his head and Ethan moved, giving him the rear seat and control of the boat.