Chapter 58

Jack could hardly believe he found himself on the Joneses' porch Thanksgiving afternoon. In fact, even a couple of months ago, he would not have been able to think of a single possible future where he would be having dinner with the Joneses. But he couldn't turn down Cherie's invitation after everything she'd been through.

Stepping inside he was shocked by what he saw. The last time he'd been inside, the house had been a disaster. Cherie had been bleary eyed and depressed.

Now she greeted him with a rosy smile and a big hug. She led him through a house that had been scrubbed spotless. A rug, worn and tattered, but new to the house, had been laid over the center of the wood floor.

David sat in his chair, watching some kids' show on the TV, humming excitedly. "He seems to like things with bright colors," Cherie commented. He gave a grunt of protest when she shut the TV off. "Our guest is here," she told him. "And food is ready."

The word "food" changed his mood instantly. He smiled and nodded happily. "He's a new man," Cherie said as David followed them to the table. "You two sit."

Jack sat opposite David at the table, wondering how he was supposed to make conversation with a half-wit. He didn't have long to wait before Cherie was back, bringing out the food. There was a turkey loaf sliced on a wide platter, boxed stuffing, canned cranberries, and a pumpkin pie. David reached for a slice of turkey, but Cherie slapped his hand away. "Not until grace," she commanded sternly. He gave her a sheepish look.

She sat and said a short prayer, thanking God for bringing her husband back and thanking Jack for the part he played. "I would have invited the others too. Thanked them," she said as she loaded David's plate with food and cut up his meat for him. "But Michael's got a family of his own, of course, and Dr. West said she had plans. Still, good of you to come."

"It was mighty good of you to offer," Jack said. Eyeing the food, he was sincere.

"Help yourself."

David ate noisily and quickly, chomping at his food. Cherie reminded him to slow down and chew more than once. When he had finished, he pointed at the pie.

"Not until the rest of us are ready," she said.

He growled.

She reached across to a side table and came back with a rolled-up newspaper. She struck David on the head and glared at him. "No."

He gave her one defiant grimace and then looked down.

"Good boy," she purred and mussed his thinning hair back into place.

Jack stared in shock. Cherie caught his look and blushed, setting the newspaper down. "I only do it when I have to," she muttered. "When he's been bad. When he pees on the carpet or growls at the neighbours or something."

Jack swallowed nervously and shook his head. "I see." And I guess after the years of abuse David had put her through, this is pretty minor.

David sat and moped, looking at the pie with longing while Jack and Cherie ate and talked. When they had finished, Cherie served them all dessert. David devoured his in two bites and pointed at the pie again. She gave him a hard look and then softened. "It is Thanksgiving, after all," she said to Jack as she served David a second slice.

After they had eaten, they retired to the living room. "Can I get you something to drink? A beer?" Cherie asked.

David leaped to his feet, nodding excitedly. Cherie scowled and whipped out the newspaper again. She brandished it in front of David's face. "You are sober now," she barked at him. "Sober."

He moaned and gave her a pleading look.

"No," she retorted. "Doctor's orders. That alcohol was going to kill you. Besides you don't behave when you're drunk. Now get to your chair." She prodded him with the newspaper. Eyes downcast, he went to his chair and sat. "I will bring you tea," she told him. "Jack?"

"Just coffee if you have it," he said.

David pointed at the TV, and Jack turned it back on. It was still on the kids' show, but that seemed to keep David happy and Jack didn't particularly care. Cherie came back with a tray and three cups, tea for her and David and coffee for Jack.

They talked about nothing while Jack sipped his mild coffee—obviously instant. Soon David began to snore in his chair. "Bless him," Cherie said as though talking about a pet. "Isn't he cute when he's sleeping?" Her eyes glimmered as she watched David, his mouth open, snoring in his chair. Jack could find nothing cute in the scene but nodded, unsure what to say.