Chapter 52

Ethan had thought that the day his parents had split up, the day they came over here to Justin and Danielle's house to stay, was the worst day of his life, and it simply couldn't get worse. God, how wrong I was, he thought as he slunk down on the couch, trying not to be seen.

He shouldn't even be watching this, he knew. But he couldn't look away.

Justin was off duty, in jeans and a T-shirt, but his stance and body language were pure cop. Ethan's father was disheveled, swaying slightly. His words were slurred. "They're my kids, goddammit. I should be able to see them when I want."

"No one is saying they aren't your kids, or that you can't see them."

"Then send them out. Let me see them."

"For God's sake, Ryan," Justin said. "You're drunk. Go home, sleep it off. When you're sober, when there is a custody decision in place, visitation schedule, I'll gladly let you see them. You know that. I'm on your side. But you need to work with me."

"Let me in," Ryan shouted, trying to get around Justin and inside the house.

Justin moved to block him.

"Don't do this, Ryan. If I have to call the cops, I will." Ryan started and looked at him. "Yeah, I will, if I have to. Then what? A drunk-and-disorderly isn't going to sit well with the family court."

"You wouldn't," Ryan sneered, half threatening, half pleading.

"Don't push me. I'll do what I have to."

"He's right," Jack said from his lawn. "This won't help your case. C'mon, just head home. You'll get to see the kids soon enough."

"You stay out of this," Ryan snarled at him. "It's none of your business."

Ethan would have been terrified to contradict Dad when he was in this mood, but if either Jack or Justin were nervous, they hid it well.

"You're right, it's none of my business," Jack replied tersely. "Until you saw fit to have a yelling match out on the public sidewalk."

Ryan scowled, but even as drunk as he was, he couldn't deny that he and Ethan's mom had just had a yelling match or that Justin had had to intervene. Mom was now at the back of the house, crying on Danielle's shoulder. The girls were hiding in the guest-room, like they always did when Mom and Dad fought.

Danielle had come into the main room a couple of times with her phone in her hand and Ethan wondered, with a sinking sensation, if she would call the cops. He swallowed, a lump in his throat as he imagined the police arresting his dad.

In the end what broke the conflict was Rick, coming down the street. He was dressed casually, white tank top, casual slacks, and flip-flops, despite the increasingly cold weather, his feet slapping a gentle rhythm as he came up. "Ryan," he snapped.

Ryan turned toward him.

"This will not do," Rick said. His watery eyes flashed angrily, and his jowls puffed out.

"My kids," Ryan whined. His shoulders slumped. It was incongruent that Dad seemed so ready to go rounds with Justin or Jack, but backed down when faced with doughy old Rick.

"You will not solve the problem like this. Come. When you're sober, I will help you find a lawyer, get your kids back. But first you must come and sober up." Rick turned and headed for their house, not bothering to see if Dad was following him.

Dad's shoulders slumped further as he slinked along, following Rick up the steps and disappearing inside.