Chapter 44

It had happened again. Ethan wasn't sure exactly what had happened, how, or why. But he knew it had happened again. It was a combination of subtle and not-so-subtle clues.

Dad's tension grew and grew. For days, he had been increasingly irritable and restless. Something to do with his new job, some big project. Then this morning he was more relaxed. Like he was on top of the world. The project had been completed, and he'd be part of the family again.

Ethan instinctively knew that with all this came more cash. There would be more gifts for him and his sisters, and more time for the family to spend together.

It seemed his sisters sensed it too. They fidgeted as they rode the bus home from school. "We're having fish tonight," Ruth said with a sly grin. "Wonder what else?"

That was one of the not-so-subtle clues. Dad had said Rick bought the filleted fish when he went to some Asian store, but Ethan had seen his dad filleting it himself this morning, cutting it into wide steaks, and putting it in a bowl with some marinade.

Mom would get gifts too, of course. Often she'd be happy for a few days.

But then the cycle would start over. Mom would be concerned about money and materialism. It seemed to Ethan that they either didn't have enough or had to feel guilty about having too much. There seemed no in between with Mom.

Mom and Dad would fight over it, and other stuff. Stuff they wouldn't talk about in front of the kids. Ethan knew some of it—Rick, his religion, the strange chants he heard Dad doing at night. Mom didn't like it.

The bus slid to a halt, and they climbed out. It was what Jack, the survivalist on the corner, called an Indian summer. The weather had been cool, almost cold. Now it was warm again for the last week or so. "This will be it, so enjoy it," Jack had said as he pulled fish from his pond. "Fall will be coming next, then winter."

The bus stopped at their corner, and the girls bolted for home. The Harrishes had the same stop. Manny was excited about some movie his dad had offered to take him to over the weekend.

"You doing anything exciting?" Ethan asked Padme.

She just shrugged. "The newest iPhone comes out. Been trying to talk my mom into getting me one."

Ethan wished suddenly that he had a phone, so he could get her number and they could text. Maybe he should ask. But Mom would never agree, even if they had the money now. Unrestricted Internet access? Who knew how much sin you could get into with that!

Manny, Padme, and their younger sister Amala all paused in front of their house. They stared across the street at the Joneses' house.

"Did you hear?" Manny whispered.

"No, what?" Ethan asked.

"He died," Padme said, her expression tight, almost triumphant. "The racist guy who used always yell at us, call us names."

Ethan startled and stared at the house. "He did? How?"

"Got drunk." Manny let out a small giggle as he talked. "Passed out in a kiddy pool. Drowned. In barely six inches of water."

"Who does that?" Amala wondered.

"Bad people," Padme said. "If you are that stupid, you deserve to die." With that, she turned and went inside.

Dad's truck was gone when Ethan rounded the corner, and Mom was jumpy, in a bad mood. "Ain't seen him all day," she told Ethan before he could ask.

But Dad was home well before supper. It was as they had known it would be—he had gifts for them all. "Finished a big project and even got a bonus," he said. He had dolls for Esther and Ruth, and a big present for Ethan. "For the family," he said, but Ethan didn't care, it was for him. An Xbox One, with a few games even. "Nothing violent or teaching bad morals," Dad said to Mom's scowl. "All the kids play today."

He handed the heavy package to Ethan, then he approached Mom, a sly smile on his face. "C'mon," he said. "Don't look at me like that." He knelt in front of her, his hands went to his back pocket. "Maggie Hillcrest," he said slowly, "you are the love of my life, you know that?" He pulled out a small jewelry box, which he opened and presented her.

For a split second Ethan could see the light in Mom's eyes. It would be like last time. She'd let herself be swayed.

Instead, her face hardened. She swatted his hands, knocking the necklace across the room.

"How dare you?" she raged at him. "Don't think I don't know what that is."

"It's a real diamond," Dad protested. "I promise. Pure gold chain."

"A bribe!" she raged. "Temptation." She pointed her finger at him, shaking with rage. "I don't know what you are up to, Ryan Hillcrest, but I swear I will not be an accomplice one more minute. Take your ill-gotten, blasphemous wealth somewhere else."

"Maggie!" Dad barked, glancing at the girls.

"No," she snapped back. "I don't care anymore. You and the kids, go have your fun. But I will not be party to this, not one second longer. And if you lead them to damnation, their blood is on your hands, Mr. Hillcrest, not mine. Don't forget that." She turned and stormed into the master bedroom, slamming the door.

Esther was crying on the couch. Dad looked at her hesitantly. "Hey there, baby girl," he said. "Don't cry. Mommy's just . . . not feeling well. Tell you guys what. The fish will keep one night. Let's get pizza or something, give Mom some time to cool down, okay?"

Esther looked at the bedroom door and then nodded uncertainly. Ethan sat his new Xbox by the TV and went to put his shoes on.

"Hey, honey, I'm going to take the kids out to eat, let you settle down. We'll talk about this later, when you're calmer, okay? I love you," Dad said to the closed door. He got no answer. With a sheepish shrug to the kids, he led them out to his truck.