Chapter 24

"Holly, someone here to see you," Shelly, a coworker, called back into the storeroom. Holly set down the bag of coffee she was divvying up into smaller bags and went to the front of the coffee shop.

It was Ashley. She was running a finger nervously around the edge of a latte. She was wearing a tight-fitting top and jeans.

Holly groaned inwardly. Ashley must have caught her expression because she flushed. "Just wanted to talk, privately."

Holly nodded. She owed Ashley that much. "I'm taking five," she said to Shelly. She followed Ashley outside. They found a seat at one of the patio tables, across from each other.

"Haven't seen much of you since we got back," Ashley commented.

"Been busy, you know. You?"

"Yeah, wrapping things up for my internship and all." Ashley sighed and steeled herself. "I, I just got to know. Before I go back to college next month. About us."

"There is no us," Holly said.

"But on the island . . ."

"We nearly died. I was scared. I, I needed comfort. I needed to know I was alive."

Ashley's eyes hardened. "You used me then?"

"No!" Holly protested, hurt. "I mean . . . you felt it too."

"It was a rush," Ashley said. "The earthquake, running to the boat. My God, it was a rush."

"It was terrifying," Holly corrected. "And that thing in the water."

"What thing?"

"You didn't see it?" Holly whispered. They hadn't discussed the thing, but Holly knew they all had seen it.

Ashley flushed and looked away. "There wasn't anything in the water."

"Yes, there was!" Holly hissed.

"No there wasn't!" Ashley hissed back. Fear showed in her eyes. Holly knew she'd seen it; she just didn't want to admit it. "Doesn't matter," Ashley added, louder. "All I want to know is about us. I thought we had something."

"It's not that simple," Holly said. "I'm married. You know that."

"Yeah. How'd she take it?"

Holly looked away.

"Oh," Ashley said, her voice dripping with scorn. "I see. So that's how it is."

Holly buried her face in her hands. "I'm sorry, Ashley. I was so desperate. I just needed-"

"Some comfort. Yeah. And now you need your comfort fuck to kindly get out of your life, so you and your wife can get on with things?"

"You saw it too," Holly said in a quiet voice. "You felt it too."

"The difference is," Ashley shot back, "that I am not married. If I want to have a one-night stand, I can. I just wish to God I'd known. Bitch."

Holly recoiled at the word. She looked up at Ashley, stung. Ashley's face was lined in tears and clearly she was hurt as well. "I'm sorry," Holly moaned. "I didn't mean for it to be like this. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"No, don't apologize," Ashley said as she stood. "I'm sure you and your wife deserve each other. Have a nice life, Holly." She turned and stormed off.

Holly watched her go and then dissolved into tears.