chapter 2 - dreaming

"ARE. YOU. FAXING. KIDDING. ME." she said, loud enough for everyone in the house to hear her. She was about to say more but was interrupted by a knock on the door. 

"Can I come in?" a voice asked. Max jumped off of the bed and into a ninja position, fists up. 

"I will pin you to the ground and punch you first." Max yelled back. The door opened. Xander stood there with a massive grin on his face. 

"Can't wait to see it then." He said to Max, who had suddenly turned bright red at the sight of her boyfriend. Xander turned to me. "I brought dinner up for you. Nash got his hands full with Libby and you and I share a similar respect for the food here, so I got you some. I even brought you a blueberry scone." he said. His way of saying he knew, and he's sorry, I thought. 

"Thanks Xan, I really appreciate it." I smiled. He smiled back, and then turned slowly towards the elephant in the room; Maxine Liu, who was still redder than a tomato. 

"Now, about that tackling..." he half asked, half giggled. 

"I love you Xan, but Ave needs me right now. Billionaire best friends come before boyfriends." Max shrugged. 

Xander faked a stab to the heart. "My beautiful Maxine, how could you do this to me?" he asked, smiling. "If you decide to return to your faithful boyfriend, I will be in my lab, waiting for you." he said, sliding out the door. Max rolled her eyes, and I started giggling at the sight of their geeky, yet perfect relationship.

After a few hours with Max, I felt a bit better. Max left to go to bed for the night, but I stayed awake, unsure what to do with myself. If I couldn't sleep, I usually roamed the halls, but I didn't want to be alone in this mansion at night. I hid under my covers and flashed back to a memory. 

"Now, Avery, what should we call this game?" I heard my mom ask. 

"Hmm..." six-year-old me thought, "what about... MONSTERS?" I could see her smile. 

"Monsters is an excellent name Ave!" I wasn't sure how long I'd been in there, but someone gently knocked on the door. 

I sat up with a fright. "Who is it?" I asked. 

"It's me." a soft voice said. "Can I come in?" it asked, the concern becoming stronger with each word. 

I called out. "It's open."

 I watched as he came in, his green eyes glistening in the night, and sat down next to me. We looked at each other for a while, and then I leant my head on his shoulder. He pushed me up with his hands holding my shoulders and looked me dead in the eye. 

"I love you, Avery Kylie Grambs." He brought my face close and kissed me, bursting with passion. I kissed him back, sparks flying. How could something so incredible feel so wrong? So betraying?

 Jameson noticed my change in thought, and lay down on the bed beside me. "Everyone is a little wrong sometimes, Heiress." he said, somehow reading my thoughts. "At this point, you're just as messed up as the rest of us, so why not join the party." He whispered in my ear. 

"I don't think I could ever love anyone more than I love you right now." He added.

I nestled into his chest. "Me either."