chapter 10 - love

I FROZE. 

My incredibly gentle, soft, loving sister, in love with the strictest, most professional person that I knew? 

I thought about it for a moment. It was crazy... but it was perfect. 

"Do you even know if she's..." I trailed off. 

Libby turned as red as a tomato. "No! I have no idea, but I can't stop thinking about her." 

I saw a twinkle in my sisters eyes that I hadn't seen in a long time. 

Not with Nash, not with Drake. 

I was pulled back to the present by Dr Liu calling my name. "Avery?! Hi, yes, I need to do a routine checkup on you quickly, and then you will be free to go. Is that ok?" 

I perked up at that. "Yep, perfect, thanks."

Once I was back in my own bed later that night, I replayed what happened with Libby. 

It was so unexpected at the time, but I always knew deep down that Libby wasn't someone who played by society's rules. She always took her life into her own hands and did what she wanted, like so many other people that I was just beginning to know. I stared at the ceiling. 

As I was thinking of people who didnt play by life's rules, Jamie walked into my bedroom. 

"What are you thinking about now, Heiress?" he asked sing-songly. 

I took a deep breath. "Well, when I was in the coma, I had a dream. About you. And Grayson." My eyes flitted over in his direction. 

"About that-" he started. 

"In my DREAM," I cut him off, "you two were fighting about something. I couldn't tell what, but it was important to you. To both of you." I looked away again. 

"Heiress-" he tried again. 

"So, anyway, whatever it was seemed important enough to be in another language, because you said some stuff in... French?" 

He smiled and closed his eyes, like he was trying not to laugh. 

"Because I am absolutely fluent in French." he responded, in the worst French accent known to man. I started laughing and he continued. "Euh... croissant? Baguette? Macaron?"

 I couldn't stop laughing. "Do you only think about food?" I asked when I had caught my breath.

 "No," he hesitated, "I also know 'J'adore toi'."

 I froze, but something inside me came alive, and I reached over and kissed him, passion erupting from both of our bodies. 

He was shocked by my suddenness, but gave in and kissed me back. His lips were as soft as butter, but somehow also firm. I melted into him, his tongue exploring my mouth. He placed his hand on my back to keep me from slipping down again. I stopped, out of breath, but he grabbed me and forcefully stuck his tongue into my mouth, making me breath heavily. 

He pulled back, red and out of breath. "That'll give you something to think about." 

He smiled his most Hawthorne smile and sauntered off.