chapter 9 - shock

I WOKE TO  a loud bang. Panic flooded through my veins. Everything around me starting beeping crazily. 

My heart rate was insanely fast and I couldn't remember how to breathe. Dr Liu walked in and started pressing buttons frantically. I heard someone come running and Max ran in, slamming open the door. 

"Avery!" She yelled. "What is it?" 

I tried to catch my breath. "I heard a bang." 

She let out a deep breath. "Oh! No, that was a book." 

I let myself remember how to breathe. My brain pulled itself back to reality. 

There were tubes going in and out of me, and wires and machines everywhere. I took a deep breath, pulling my focus away from how aware I was of everything going in and out of my body.

 "How long was I out?" I asked Max quietly. 

She looked away from me and focused her gaze on the wall. "Ave, you were out for a week." She closed her eyes, not wanting to think about it. 

I absorbed that information. A whole week? It felt like yesterday. My head started to hurt and I winced as I rubbed my temples. 

Max saw me, and stood up suddenly. "I- I should probably go. I'll send Libby in though!" 

She ran out of the room, like she was desperate to get out. I felt a bit upset, but so much had probably happened while I was out, so I didn't let it get to me.

Libby walked in and sat down. She looked a bit upset, but she looked at the floor.

 We sat there for a minute before I asked her, "What is it, Libs?" 

She looked up, like I had just yanked her back to the present. She blinked a couple of times and refocused. "Umm, nothing." She answered hesitantly. 

"Libby." I replied gently. 

"Ok, fine. It's Nash and I. We're... drifting apart a bit. I'm not... as interested in him as I was before. There- there's someone else." 

I looked at her in shock. When we first arrived, she fawned over him and called him a god, but there was someone else for her? 

I adjusted my seating position and asked slowly, "Libby? Who is it?" 

She looked to the window, like she couldn't look me in the eye. I saw her pupils dilate in the reflection as she said the words I never thought I would hear in a million years.

"I think I like Alisa."