chapter 7 - oopsie daisy

I CREAKED THE door open an inch, and saw Max sitting on her bed. 

"Max? It's me, Avery. Can I come in?" I asked. 

"Of course." She replied softly. I walked in and sat down next to her, rubbing her arm. 

She leaned her head on my shoulder. "Ave?" She asked. 

"Yeah?" I replied. 

"Why doesn't he love me?" She whispered gently. 

"Max! Oh, he does love you. You just have to let him show you that." 

"With a notepad?" She sniffled. 

We heard a sharp knock at the door. "My beautiful Maxine? Can I enter?" 

Max looked at me, and I nodded, so she said yes. 

Xander opened the door cautiously, like he was waiting to be booby trapped. He walked around, to the other side of Max, and handed her a box. 

"Open it." He whispered. 

Max looked suspicious, but she couldn't pass down a present, so she pulled the lid off slowly.

 There was a little silver ball, with heaps of switches, things to pull and lights. She looked like she was going to cry again. 

Xander calmly took it from her hands and showed her the sequence to open it. She watched, and the ball started unfolding. Happy Birthday started playing and the lights flashed rainbow around the room. Xander pressed another button and a little pedestal popped up, revealing a pair of beautiful diamond earrings. 

Max started tearing up, and kissed him. He kissed her back. 

I slowly started making my way to the door and slid out; that was not my place. I ran down the stairs to tell the others how well Xander's present worked, and I remember missing one, and then it all went

b

l

a

c

k

.